So, I thought I should update the brownie status. I made them. Gary calls them the $85.00 brownies because he says that is how much it cost to make them. I can assure you that it was not that much. It was more than what my friend Betty Crocker would spend. I melted different kinds of chocolate in a double boiler, I tempered eggs with the warm chocolate, I sifted, I swirled peanut butter. . . they looked wonderful. Would they taste good?
I didn't like them. They have coffee in them. Ina Garden (Barefoot Contessa from Food Network) says she always adds coffee to chocolate dishes because it brings out the flavor. Perhaps, but it also tastes like coffee to me. I don't like coffee. I don't like to kiss Gary after he has eaten something with coffee in it. I liked the texture of the brownies, but I kept tasting the coffee. I did need to take several tests of course. I tried the batter, I tried them warm, I tried them cold. It is important after all to test.
Saturday morning (the contest was Saturday night and I made the brownies on Friday night) I decided to make another batch. I would go to the store, purchase more supplies. . . I wanted to bring something that I was proud of. Gary said "no". They are fine. We aren't going to make another batch of $85.00 brownies. (Remember, this is a complete exaggeration!) I didn't make another batch of brownies.
I brought the brownies. I won the contest. First prize was a Sham-Wow! Woo-Hoo! Sham-Wow!
The point to everyone reading this: please please please have a get-together where you have a big potluck in which each family needs to bring a dish (or two for us larger families) from the church (or school, or Rotary Club, or Cooks.com, or left-handed) cookbook. It has to be something you haven't made before. You'll get to sample so many dishes in a short amount of time. I have notes written in my church cook-book now for dishes that I'd like to make (a soup in particular that was amazing). Then, have each person bring a pan of brownies. You will laugh and be so giddy at the prospect of sampling lots of brownies. There were mix brownies, cake brownies, brownies with marshmallow (my favorite). . . it was so fun. Oh, don't forget the ice cream. It is a palate cleanser. Do it. Do it. Tell me how it went. Feel free to send me some samples.
Do it. Perhaps you'll even walk away with a Sham-Wow!
3 comments:
You won a sham?
Huh?
Do elaborate...and post a pic!
I think I would like your $85 brownies!!
YOU ROCK!!
A FEW WEEKS BACK, WAS THE DEADLINE FOR OUR CHILDRENS COOKBOOK. I'M SO BUMMED THAT I DIDN'T GET TO ENTER MY DEAR FRIEND SHANDAS '$85.00 BROWNIES'. YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE THAT NEXT GO-ROUND I'M ADDING IT!!
SORRY, BUT IT ALL SOUNDS LIKE TOO MUCH WORK FOR ME. PLUS, I DON'T WANT TO LET 'MY GIRL' BETTY (CROCKER) DOWN. :)
LOVE YOU LITTLE MISS-I-ROCK!!
Holly--A Sham-Wow is a very absorbant towel that is featured in a crazy infomercial. The beauty is that is it really pretty cool. You can get them at Bed/Beth and Beyond.
Traci-they are so NOT my brownies. They belong to Ina Garden and can be found on the Food Network under recipes. Wish I was so brillian. Although. . . if I make them again and omit the coffee, does that make it an orginal recipe? I don't think so. :) Next time you are here, you can join Tricia and I in the kitchen when we make "naughty bars".
Post a Comment