Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A visit to the farm

Tonight we had the opportunity to visit a dairy farm. Our friends, the Pyle's, run a farm and due to my thinking there was a church softball game tonight (it is really Thursday night!), we were out and about and decided to stop in. Glad we did. The Pyles gave us a great tour. Of course, I wasn't planning so I didn't have my camera on me. Let me share with you the reactions of my kids.

Garrison: fascinated, but cautious. He didn't run into each new barn, but when he felt confident, then he was in charge telling the other kids what to do and where to go. He was amazed by how much cows pee. He loved playing in the cotton seeds. Those poor kittens that were chased. So very sorry! I loved hearing him talk about it before bed. I'm amazed at what he picks up. He still doesn't get where the milk comes from. That's o.k. :)

Simon: He couldn't wait to go on to each new thing, although he really wasn't into the cows. He preferred to look at the tractors, the sand piles, the tractors, the cotton seed, and the sand piles. He smiled and smiled, ran and jumped, and just enjoyed being outside. He would discover the small things: a corn kernel, a dip in the road. . . this is my Simon. He notices all kinds of things. He was finally able to get up close to a big tractor. Such a highlight!

Noel: Wish I could have videotaped this girl. If you want a good time, tour a dairy farm with Noel. Her eyes were WIDE open. She moo-ooo-ood loudly at the cows and was so surprised and excited every time they responded. She wanted to touch them, she wanted to pick up every rock and throw it, she would grab sand, spin around, and let it fly. She protested leaving each barn, and ran to each new one. She refused to get out of the tractor. She fell apart at the end. . .we stayed a bit too long. She plays hard. She falls hard. She is sound asleep.

What a great unplanned night. Thanks Paul and Nancy. Thanks Shanda for messing up the schedule. Sometimes wonderful things happen when I make mistakes.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Yes, I have to giggle thinking about Noel's reaction. It was so cute! We're so glad it worked out - even though no one was planning on it. :) We'll have to let the kids come by again a different time.

Holly said...

What a cool life ya'll have :)