The eyes that tell you with one longing look that they just want to melt in a heap of tears, that they want their mama to make it better, that there has to be something better. . . . We spent some time together, mama bear and Simon. I think I did help to make it better. I got him to smile. Have you ever seen his smile? Amazing.
And I cried. I cried because my baby was hurting, because I wanted to protect him, because I couldn't, and because I'm hormonal. (I had a baby less than two weeks ago.)
I've been thinking a lot about this and chatted with my mom about it when I got home. I'll have an extended conversation with Gary about it tonight. Simon responded the way we've been training him to do at home. "Will you stop that please?" The boys didn't stop. Then what? I'm not a fan of tattling, I'm not a fan of fighting back, I'm not a fan of giving in. . . I don't know what to teach him. He is a small guy. He is a giver. Do other kids sense this as weakness in him? He is my first kid to share, to offer what he has, to assist someone. . . it is a characteristic that I adore about him.
I don't know the answers. I'm walking on a new road. I'll be talking with my Father about it as well. I just know that I love Simon and want to do what is best for him. Oh, and if you ever see my kids bully someone: tell me! I want to know and do something about it. . . pronto!
1 comment:
Oh how sad! And on the last day of school! I could almost cry reading that because I realize how incredibly protective I am of Andrew too and I don't know if I could take it if someone was bullying him. Give Simon a big hug from us and tell him that we love his sharing and caring heart!
Post a Comment