I've had two folks strike up conversations with me in the past couple of weeks while we were playing on the playground at school after Mandarin classes. Both ended up blessing me, so I'm glad I actually chatted rather than run away. I've been thinking a lot about the second encounter.
This was with a stay-at-home dad. I was sitting in the shade, he came and sat about 10 feet from me. . . and then you guessed it--he began to talk to me. I kept thinking "Just go away. Just go away. Just go away." I didn't look at him much hoping that he would get the hint. He didn't and you guessed it, we began to chat. At one point, Ben shared that his wife taught at Hamilton schools. I mentioned that my dad had taught for years at Blue Star Elementary. He looked at me with big eyes and asked what my dad's name was. "Dan Koeman" I replied. He started to laughed and rolled back in the grass. "Your dad was my favorite teacher! That is cool. You have such an amazing father." Garrison came over and I told him that this man once had his Gramps as a teacher. Garrison could hardly believe that. Our new friend then told Garrison that he was so lucky to have Mr. Koeman as a grandpa. Garrison agreed. He also told our friend that Gramps only had one leg. (They are fascinated with how dad lost his leg and how that all works. We probably have one conversation about it every week.) I thought later about Ben's comments. He was exactly right. I do have an amazing father.
Dad touched so many lives during his teaching career. He made a great difference serving on the Laketown Township Board. He was a wonderful elder in our church. None of these are his greatest accomplishment. He recently told his counselor that he had made some big investments during his lifetime. He does not money to show for it, but he put everything into four particular kids. He gave his time. He gave his resources. He watched and prayed. Today, his investments have paid off and he is seeing and reaping the rewards. His investments are changing the world for the Lord.
While growing up, I did have the best dad. He loved us, played with us, made us work, sat down to dinner with us, prayed with us and for us, read to us, taught us how to ski, hike, build fires, love books, try even if we failed, value education. . . the list goes on and on. See, kids like Ben got to have dad for one year. I got to have him every day, every month, for years and years. I get to say that Mr. Koeman is my favorite dad.
2 comments:
thank you for sharing that little story with us!
he did MUCH investing into my life too and for that i'm thankful.
love you friend.
Post a Comment