So, we need a policy. I think we have one, but Gary and I need to discuss it so that we've got it down. I think we'll buy one item for every fundraiser for our kids and buy one thing from neighbors we know. It may need to be tweaked. We came up with our book policy last night.
I loved ordering Scholastic books when I was a kid. I think that my parents let me get a book every time. What is up with that? I might be wrong. I do remember spending lots of time looking at all the books and descriptions and trying to decide which one I would get. Choosing was half the fun. Thanks mom and dad! I devoured books and loved getting new ones. I would return to those books again and again. I want my kids to have the same love affair that I did. So, we decided that they didn't need to get a book every time the order sheets come home--once a month. We will let them get a book about three or four times a year. When they can read, then they can get books more often if they'd like to work for the money to get them. We'll see how it goes.
Do you have policies? Care to share?
2 comments:
When we were growing up my parents let us get a book or two from every book order. But, in the time before Amazon Scholastic book orders were the cheapest way to get books. We didn't get many other "extras" though.
I do remember being guided to the "specials". There always were a few 99 cent books.
Related side note: When I was student teaching my teacher let me "run" the Scholastic orders and keep the rewards. I got so many free books during that semester! The points add up super-quickly for teachers to earn free merchandize.
I've always bought from the neighbor kids and Kizie, but they're the only kids who try to sell to me. I'm glad none of them have come to me with wrapping paper. I'm too cheap to buy that.
With my siblings, we have agreed to let each other know about fundraisers but that there is no expectation on anyone that we have to participate, especially since we have three different schools covers. I don't know that we would buy from neighbors as we always will hav e our own kids to support through fundraisers. I guess my thought is that we will offer to those who want it, purchase an item or two ourselves if it could be worth our money, and that's it. I have too many books from my own teaching days that I couldn't justify books - and they get a lot as presents too. So many "policies" to establish, though!
Post a Comment