Monday, October 31, 2011

Dear Penny

Dear Penny
You are sleeping and I am thankful. 24 hours ago was a different situation entirely. You've been perplexing me lately. The past three days have been one big guessing game. It is one of the biggest surprises to me about motherhood--guessing. I'm constantly guessing and you are no different. You've been off. Then, you've been fine. We struggled on Saturday night so much that I decided to stay home from church with you on Sunday morning. After a morning nap, you were on top of the world, though very drooley. I had figured out that you were teething. Yeah! I'm right. . . right?!? After a rough afternoon at Grammy's house, we made it home. I found myself putting as much medicine into you as I dared. You even went and played at a park for an hour. Teeth, yes teeth.
Then our night began. You were struggling during supper and as I changed your diaper, I noticed lots and lots of white spots on your tongue. What is this? Something new. We took a picture and sent it off to Aunt Gigi who called and told us not to worry--this too shall pass. You finally fell asleep about two hours after your regular bedtime on your daddy's shoulder.
Then, it happened. You were up and screaming. You didn't want anything and nothing was right. I'm so sorry. I felt so bad that I cried with you. We just sat on the couch and cried together. Daddy and I were debating about what to do for you--do we go to the hospital at 10:30 on a Sunday night? Then. . . and thanks for cluing us in my dear. . . then you started rubbing your ear. Light bulbs and flashlights and fireworks went off! I put my finger on your left ear and you about hit the ceiling. Daddy took you to Zeeland Hospital and returned with a much calmer and exhausted Penny. Antibiotics as well as a concoction for your very sore mouth had taken the edge off. . . yes you were still up screaming at 4:30, but it was short lived.
Penny, I'm so in love with you. Can you please learn how to describe what you are feeling inside? It would help me a ton. I'm so sorry that it took me three days to figure out what was going on with you. You could also run a fever. That might help me as well next time. As for tonight, daddy got two hours of sleep last night because he was with you and he was on call. I'm a little ragged myself. How about no interruptions tonight? I promise I'll read extra books to you tomorrow. I'll even forgive you for finally learning how to say my name and calling it out extra early.
Love
Mommy

No comments: