As we waited for the sunset and played on the rocks, I noticed someone walking toward me from my past. She (I'll call her Eve) was taking a walk on the boardwalk. Eve and I used to be very close, but two years ago when we followed our counselor and showed tough love to my dad, she refused to talk or see us. She has refused to learn about addiction and refused to listen to us, ask us questions, or even look me in the eye. It is fine when someone disagrees with me, but to refuse to even hear or acknowledge me. . . that is rough.
So, last night when I saw her coming. . . I wasn't sure what to do. I've always acknowledged her and greeted her kindly. I knew she saw me because she picked up her pace to get away. Of course, Noel decided that she had to go to the bathroom "RIGHT NOW!". We ended up walking about 30 feet behind Eve. I would see her peak back at me to see how close I was. She scooted ahead to the parking lot. Noel, Penny and I made our way down the sidewalk and as I passed her vehicle, I saw her hiding underneath the dash. Really?!? Hiding under the dash in your car? Her husband was obviously confused and then he looked out and saw me. (Adam has the same feelings about me as Eve does.) I smiled and waved and moved on.
There is so much humor in this. . . there is also sadness and a great lesson. It makes me laugh that Eve needed to run away from me. I am scary. :) What is sad is that this happens to me occasionally, but it happens to my mom often and my guess. . . to many people. When we don't agree, when we don't know what to say, when it seems hard, when you are embarrassed. . . we sometimes choose to hide. Want to know another sad thing? I've done this. Think about yourself--do you ever see someone and hide? Go to a different aisle? Drive a different route? Smile and hope they don't say something to you?
As a Christian, I need to be different, to show the light of Christ to those around me. Yes, it is hard. In some ways, being sanctified is much harder than living life selfishly. Obedience is so very difficult, yet being in a personal relationship with the Lord--AMAZING!!!
Me? I'm going to try harder to make sure no one feels like a nobody around me. I'm not going to run to my car and hide under the dash. . . unless of course I'm playing hide-n-seek. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment