Monday, May 28, 2012

Neighbors neighbors!

We've lived in our house for almost seven years.  We know the folks right next to us, but no many others.  I've been a little sad about that, but didn't know what to do about it.  I want my kids to go off and play with friends.  I want to walk on a summer evening and chat with people along the way.  That doesn't happen.

Last night it happened.  We got invited to a bonfire.  And we went.  Our kids ran around.  We were welcomed.  We laughed.  I was so nervous.  I almost turned around as we walked into the backyard and I'm so glad that we didn't.  Neighbors.  Sharing who we are.  Staying up late.  Going over names.  Then as we left, we were invited to swim at a neighbors pool today.  I almost didn't go.  BUT, we did.  I said a prayer as I walked into the backyard and Amy (the neighbor) said to me "Oh, I'm so glad that you came.  I was hoping you would come."  I thanked God.  We had a really nice time and were invited back.  Whew.

I'm going to try and step out this summer.  Folks have invited us over to swim or to play.  I tend to hide out and go find my friends that I know already.  I'm so afraid (introverted!) in situations where I meet new people and make small-talk.  Not.  This.  Summer.  I'm going to call and ask "Hey, is your invitation to come over still good?  When can we make that happen."  I'm going to ask "Can you remind me of your name again?"   For me and for my kids---we are going to make some new friends and I'm going to say "Thanks for inviting us."  I'll also bring popsicles.  Or maybe a bundt.

No comments: