Monday, May 7, 2012

Thank you

I think I'm done writing my "thank-yous".  I had quite the list of folks to thank for when Simon was in the hospital (the first time).  He is doing great by the way.  He did have a reaction to his antibiotic, so that is now under control thanks to our family doctor.

My mama taught me that if someone gives you something, then you write them a thank-you note.  I do it.  I'm thankful that she instilled this in me.  I'm trying to do the same thing with my kids.  So. . . hopefully if you gave to us during our hospital experience, then you received a thank-you note.  I do know that many of you slipped through my cracks.  I'm so sorry!  Some folks just didn't get put on my list.  I'm sorry.  Some folks gave and I wasn't aware of it.  I'm sorry.  Some people gave anonymously. . . sorry I can't write you a note, but thanks so very much!!!!!! Some folks came to visit at the hospital and I wasn't there to write it down.  I'm sorry.  If you deserve a thank-you note and want one---I'd love to give you one.  I'll give you a hug too.  Just let me know.

The lines of thank-you notes can be a bit blurry to me though.  Some are obvious--if I am not there to thank the person, then they indeed deserve a thank-you.  Yes.  If it changed my life--you'll receive a note in the mail.  What about if you opened a gift and said a verbal thank-you?  Do you still write a note?  Do you write one person nine thank-yous because they just kept giving and giving?  Sometimes the giving was so wonderfully overwhelming that a cute little thank-you card doesn't seem like enough.  (I had this so many times in the past month!)  I felt like I needed to buy thank you gifts for folks who gave to us.  Crazy sauce!

Until I read a book of thank you etiquette, I'll stick with my gut.  I'll write the notes for the suppers, money, babysitting, gifts, and encouragement.  It was amazing.  Gary and I are still in wonder about it all.  I hope that never changes.

No comments: