I was gone this week-end to a Beth Moore conference. I know that Beth Moore is a polarizing figure: you like her or you don't. If you aren't aware, she is a speaker and author of women's Bible Studies. I myself am a fan. God has used her to change me in many ways: including getting more into The Word. I'm thankful for that. So this week-end a group of six of us set off. I came back full. Stuffed. I went with the women in our small group and our moms. There were two of our friends who couldn't make it: another time ladies! Love you! I was filled by God from Beth, from the worship, and from spending time with five Godly women! Boy did I need that. I may have learned more from our car ride of 12 hours than from the conference. :) They also extended lots of grace to me because I forgot our armbands which are the tickets. Thanks to Gary for getting on the phone and making all things right. Love you babe!
In the meantime, sweet Gary was on the home front. I have no worries about this: he is a mighty capable man. We have been trying to get back into our routine in regards to chores. We give stones for different jobs, good behavior, excellent attitudes etc. The ducks can then redeem the stones for computer time, happy meals, a trip to the dollar store, working with dad in the workshop, a favorite cereal, etc. (I'm always open for new ideas if you'd like to share!) We've been here and there this summer and have kinda gotten out of our routine: including getting duck duties done by 9:00. So Gary made sure that Saturday was stone spending day! Amen! Hallelujah!
Every duck had more than10 stones for which they chose a trip to the dollar store or dollar section at Target. They were thrilled. Noel and Simon both chose a box of popsicles. Great. Garrison however. . . ah my son. I've blogged about his obsession with treasures. He has decided that he wants to be a dumpster diver when he grows up. He loves a good deal. Remember the farmer's market? Every student had a dollar to spend and most children purchased a cookie or a snow-cone. Garrison got a tomato and four carrots. He hates tomatoes and carrots. He just got so much for his money!
So on the way to redeem the stones, Gary passes a garage sale. My husband is no stranger to a good deal so he stopped. Garrison asked if he could spend his dollar there. Gary said "yes" as would I. It is his dollar and for the most part, he can choose what to buy with it. Keep in mind here that Garrison CAN NOT READ. (He knows a few words, especially in Spanish, but general reading. . . not so much.) Well, Garrison did not miss the opportunity to get a great deal. He came home with a Tom Clancy hard back novel: $.25. (500+ pages?) A Harry Potter book: $.25. And my favorite--Romance magnets: $.50! Remember the little magnets with all the words that you put on your fridge which you used to make funny and non-sensical (not a word according to my spell check) sentences to your college roommates? Parents with children under three do not have these as they scream out "Play with me! Put me in your mouth! I'm a choking hazard!" Garrison of course can not read "romance", but he knows a good deal when he sees it. Over 100 magnets for only $.50---what a deal! He has been placing them on the fridge and asking me to read what it says. Thankfully, things have been pretty tame so far. How awesome (sarcasm alert!) that we have fridge magnets that include love, fantasy, glisten,celebrate, cuddle, head, flicker, tongue, body, bleed, chocolate, skin, finger, honey, squeeze, lick, wild and glisten.
Honestly, I think it is so funny. I think I'm might hide it while he is away at camp and give it to him for a wedding gift. I think he'd laugh too.
2 comments:
I think I might laugh so hard I fall off my chair.
that boy is a man after my own heart!! it's the dutch in him you know?
while cleaning my garage on saturday, i ran across my container of those very magnets! when we were first dating, we had them on our fridge and oh, the cute (sometimes inappropriate for children... WE WERE NEWLY MARRIED!) things we would spell out! i loved those.
however, now that i have 3 children that CAN read and DO 'get' the whole 'romance thing', i've resorted to putting them on the fridge in the garage. (inside fridge is stainless so they won't stick. :()
anywho, thought i'd be the only one enjoying them until today, i walked in there and Max, so nicely pointed out to me that he had put together a few nice sentences.....
~YOU ROSE ALL EVENING. (i'm sure he had NO idea what he was saying)
~PLEASE DANCE WELL GIRL & DRINK BEAUTIFUL SKIN AFTER BED.
and my personal fav:
~FLAME IS NOT WARM.
maybe i'll take your advice and pack them up for a wedding gift.
thanks for sharing your everyday life. I LOVE IT!
~
Post a Comment