I've found myself sitting in doctor's waiting areas a few times in the past two weeks. I really don't mind it. . . truth be told I kinda like it. I don't like the reasons why we have to go to the doctor (possible u.t.i. for Penny, a crown for my oldest, and issues with my big toenail--I know--what is up with that?!?) nor do I like dealing with babysitters. BUT, when I get there I like sitting and reading magazines. I love reading magazines, but have not been subscribing in an effort to save pennies. When I get to go grocery shopping alone, I find a longer line to wait in so that I can read the magazines. Love.
So I'm sitting at the foot doctor--all by myself I might add!--and really enjoying this magazine. I see a recipe that I want to make and with little thought, I'm tearing it out while watching the secretary hoping she doesn't hear the page ripping. I put it in my purse and read on. I found so many things that were intriguing to me that. . . I shoved the whole thing in my purse! Yesterday while Garrison was getting his crown (again, he is seven!) Noel and I were chillin'; she on the ipad and me reading magazines. I repeated my tearing out performance. Yes. I'm confessing.
This morning as I emptied my purse I felt a twinge of remorse. Then I found myself rationalizing. I went back and forth. "Shanda, you'd never allow your children to take something like that. But there were so many magazines! It really is stealing--seriously it is stealing. Will anyone really notice that something is missing from the page? Plus, there were over 20 copies of Cooking Light. Eventually these will get recycled anyway right? You are a thief! Would Jesus tear our a recipe? There isn't a sign saying "please tear out what you can use."
So, I'm blogging about it. I'm confessing. I'm wondering what to do the next time I find a recipe. Is it o.k. to go up to the front and ask to make a copy? I think that is a bit embarrassing. I will not begin carrying recipe cards in my purse. Do I return the magazine to the foot doctor? Hopefully the recipes will turn out great, then again perhaps my punishment should be that they are terrible. :) The worst part is that I just did it knowing that it was wrong--I kept watching the receptionist because I didn't want to get caught. What am I--4? The point is--I won't do it again.
4 comments:
Take a picture of the recipe with your phone, then when you get home google it. More than likely you'd be able to find it.
I take coupons out of magazines at the doctor's office. Someone should use them, right?
make an extra portion of the recipe and bring it to the doctors office for them to eat for lunch!! :)
explain your situation. i'm SURE they will laugh and be VERY thankful.
and you'll feel no guilt. :)
I usually take out my phone and take a picture of the recipe!!! I work in a dr. office and we don't mind at ALL if you ask us to make a photo copy of the page/s.
Great ideas! Thanks Amber, Traci, and unknown. :)
Post a Comment