| Add caption |
The vacuum has been out for the past three days. . . and I am thrilled. I know--shocking! Here is the deal: I did a great mommy thing. I don't think I'm an amazing mom. I see what other amazing women do--many of them my friends. I admire them. They have great brains that think of cool activities for their kids to do. They love (or pretend to love) to get on the floor with their kids and "play" things. I don't like to play things. It seems strange since I can be a bit dramatic (ahem) myself. I don't like to play doctor or kitchen. I do have gifts in other areas. I get excited about things. I love to go out and find adventures with my kids. I love to hike with them or play games. Each mama has their gifts. Celebrate your gifts!
So back to my great mommy thing. Last week there was a "play and learn" time at a local educational center. Our county hosts one every month in Zeeland. I was kindly invited by a friend and Penny and I enjoy getting out, getting a free book, and playing at all sorts of different stations. It is well run and a great way for the two of us to spend an hour together without my quick doing a load of laundry or unloading the dishwasher or grabbing a pop or checking my e-mail or blogging or snacking or or or. She is the guide (that is what the leader tells us!) and it has been fun to be together. So on Monday I noticed that Penny spent a lot of time at the field corn tub. Hidden in the corn were little "treasures" (this time is was farm animal figures) and the kids could find them. Penny didn't find them. She instead took two measuring cups and poured the corn back and forth. She also got irritated with kids who touched her measuring cups. Because I was "present" with her (here is the great mommy thing!) I noticed this. Of course, I promptly forgot it when she stepped in dog poop as we walked out to the car and then got it all over the van, her car seat, and her clothes.
Monday morning my house was sighing in relief as everyone left. We had a great Thanksgiving, but boy did we need a little clean-up time. I suddenly remembering the pouring thing and grabbed a few containers, a spoon and a half a bag of lentils. Fifty cents. Fifty cents worth of lentils has bought me over six hours now of fun! Penny loves it. She loves to touch and pour them. I love that she is creating and occupied and I can work around her. I love that Noel likes it too. I don't like it when they fight over the lentils. Who fights over lentils?!? Penny is pouring right now. I may have to take out the lentils every time I want to blog. . . or shower.
Most of them are gone now as they have been vacuumed up, but they are on my grocery list for this week.
1 comment:
Brilliant! I need to copy that...as I, too, am not nearly as cool as all those other mothers. Are you sure we're not cut from the same cloth?
Post a Comment