Monday, November 19, 2012

That sneaky envy!

So.. . ms. envy just snuck up on me again.  Yup.  I thought I had conquered her in one little area of my life.  BUT, that isn't the way that spiritual warfare works right?

There is a friend. . . well we used to be good friends but because of time and distance. . . we are just facebook friends now. . . I greet her with happiness when I see her. . . you get it right?  I'd call her a friend, but we are not in regular communication.

So I realized several months ago that I really was struggling in my relationship with her.  "What is this?"  I thought to myself.  "Why am I having yucky feelings about her?  She is a wonderful person.  She is a great Christian and role model in her parenting.  There aren't faults that I see in her.  What is up Shanda?!?"  Well, I finally figured it out that I was a bit envious of her.  Envious of some of the things she was doing in her life.  Envious of some of her gifts and abilities.  Once I identified it, I took care of it!  It felt so much better to follow along in her life free from this awful feeling and to see myself in a different light--with all kinds of gifts from the Father to use in His Kingdom.  I prayed that God would use my gifts when He sees fit to use them. . . that I would be content in whatever state I'm in. . .that I would trust Him and so enjoy all the blessing that He has given to me.

Then last week it struck again.  "Why does she get to go that?  I've always wanted to do that!  Boo!"  I found myself struggling once again.  Once again I have to beat envy over the head.  I've never thought of myself as an envious/jealous person, but obviously there is an issue here.

I'm thankful that I can see it and work to stop it.  I pray for eyes to see where God wants me to change.  Do you struggle in some surprising ways?

1 comment:

GOTG said...

Oh, girl, we have to get together! I have the exact same feelings all the time.
HUGS!