I rarely blog in the morning. . . especially Monday. I love my Monday mornings and find that I have lots of motivation to do house stuff so I'd better not waste it. Yet. . . I'm here so something must be up. It is.
I began this blog in 2008 right before we went to China to get Simon. Folks (mom) wanted to follow us on our journey and this was a great way to share. My intent was to stop after we got home, but we just kept on going. Hard to believe it has been over four years. Well. . . today we begin the journey again toward adoption. Yes, you read that right. Adoption. It has come along very suddenly! I've always kept an ear toward adopting again, but I must admit that I'm rather content where I am. I love my two boys and two girls. I love that we have four lockers and our truck fits six. We all share a bedroom with a partner and our trailer just sleeps six. It works for us and we love it. BUT I've declared that God is in charge of my life. I've asked Him to order my steps and because of that. . . my life is so much better.
I blogged a few weeks ago about a little boy who was going to be left behind. Oh how I ached for him and wished that he could have a mom and dad. Something about him grabbed my heart. I wasn't sure what to do about it, so I talked with the Lord and with my amazing partner. Together Gary and I prayed and talked and waited. Then we received the answer: We are adopting Michael. We love Michael. We love our five kids.
We are so excited and eager and scared! Frankly, this is a great place to be. I know that only God can put this together. There is so much paperwork: all doable. We just have to do it. There is so much expense. Michael is priceless, but the shipping and handling is about $35,000.00. I haven't figured out this piece, but a few friends have offered to help us do a fundraiser. (On a side note--this will be very hard for me. I help others out, but don't know how to ask for money. I do know that where God leads He will also provide a way even though it might be hard. More on this later perhaps.) I'm not sure where Michael will sleep or how we'll be able to camp or where he will keep his snow boots. There are all first world problems and we will figure it out. I do know that he is our son. I do know that God has given us the green light. I do know that it might be hard. I do know that our family will be better because we'll all be together. I do know that I'll get to be a mama to a pretty special little boy.
Want to know more? Here is the break-down.
Michael Alan Chang Sprick
Same orphanage as Simon. (Woo-Hoo!) It's like a true brother to Simon!
He is 5 1/2.
He has Treacher Collins Syndrome. He is missing some of his facial bones so he looks a bit different. We think he is very cute.
His left ear is completely closed, but the equipment might be there for him to hear. We'll get him checked out when he gets home.
And that lazy eye--that's no big deal. We'll take care of that for you son.
He is three months younger than Noel, but he'll be a grade behind her.
I love him!
So there it is--our Monday morning announcement. I'll post a big picture of him tomorrow perhaps. I think you'll fall in love with him too. Will you praise God with us that this one is no longer an orphan? Our friend Kyla told him that he has parents and she said he gave her the biggest smile ever! Oh I just want to hug him! Will you pray that Michael will begin to know us in his heart already? Prayers as well for paperwork going smoothly and funds acquired and God's perfect timing with traveling. We praise God that our agency was able to find his file. We praise God that when he comes home he'll have siblings that can understand him and communicate with him and translate for him. We praise God that He is knitting our family together in ways that surprise and delight us.
Thanks friends. Thanks for walking with us. Feel free to ask any questions.
4 comments:
Yay! Wonderful news! Congratulations on your new son!!
awesome Shanda. I am eager to see God work in your family. Thanks for introducing your son!! :)
My goodness, what a morning God made for you today! Great news.
Can I admit I had a hunch this whole time you would do it? Can't wait to hear about the fundraiser!! :)
Yay!!!!! So very excited for you guys. It was fun for me to hear Emily filling Andrew and Megan in on the details on the way home from school today. I think their whole class was excited. :) God will do awesome things through this journey.
Post a Comment