Saturday, November 22, 2008

Blessing upon blessing

Hi friends!

Guess what, it is 5:15 a.m. and I'm sitting at our kitchen counter in Zeeland. What a treat! I've been up for about an hour already. I'm sure I'll be exhausted later, but for know I'm enjoying the quiet of the morning.

God is so very good. He blessed us beyond measure over the past two weeks, and He didn't stop with the trip home. I couldn't have asked for anything better I don't think, except perhaps business class. Have you seen those seats?

As you know from a previous post, I had given all my stresses and concerns to the Lord earlier on in the week. I didn't even take them back. I just felt such peace from Him. Well, we were able to get seats together on-line for our last flight from Detroit to Grand Rapids. Yeah! That just left the first flight which was almost completely full. I just trusted that God would make everything o.k.

We woke up around 4:30 a.m. and did our last minute packing, checked-out (and received money back from the hotel--another great surprise from God), and headed to the airport with another family: the Lowes. They are so very sweet. Anyway, we checked in and asked if we could get seats together: sorry. There were so many other adoptive families on our flight, many of whom were split up. I saw many anxious parent faces and heard many pleas for help. So, we head off to the plane and finally get on-board. Simon is doing great! The seats are three across on both sides and Gary and Simon are together (window and middle) and I'm behind them. So many people come on: it's a full flight. One father in particular is struggling because his girls are sitting near the front by themselves. There just seems to be no solution. Kids are crying. . . it is all very chaotic. Meanwhile, I sit hoping for a glimpse of the person who will be sitting next to Simon and perhaps they will be willing to switch with me. Finally, the plane is full, they announce that the doors are closing, and guess what. There is one empty seat on the plane and it is next to Simon. I quickly move and then cry and laugh at how God works. I just imagined that He was laughing with me and had been planning this for some time.

Great flight to Tokyo where we need to get Simon some lunch. He is hungry and will be taking a nap shortly. We are trying to figure out how much money to change to Yen when Andy Lowe approaches us and sees us with money. "Wait wait wait--I have hurry to make my flight and I won't be able to use this." He hands us some yen. It was plenty for lunch as well as some snacks for the next flight. Look at how God continues to bless! Then, the big flight. The one I began stressing about since we decided to adopt from China. Simon falls asleep before we take-off and sleeps for three hours. Then, he is up and happy and wonderful for the next four, then back to sleep for five. Did you read that? He slept for about 7-8 hours of the trip! Oh God, you are so wonderful! The last flight was nothing: 27 minutes and then we are in Grand Rapids: exhausted and excited. I'd just like to point out here that when I am exhausted and excited and haven't seen my other two kids for two weeks, I'm going to be a bit weepy. Those folks who witnessed our reunion saw and heard quite the mama.

It was so fun to walk down the hall as a family of three and see my mom and dad, brother Kevin, and of course Garrison and Noel. They both ran to us and hugged us. Noel knew who we were. Both greeted Simon (who became quite shy) and we just sat on the floor and hugged, laughed and cried (o.k. I cried) together. It was so wonderful to see them again. My sister Tricia and her kids were able to come as well with big "Welcome Home Simon" signs. They are beautiful! My brother Ryan and sister-in-law Kate and sister-in-law Gretchen rounded out the party. It was so wonderful to visit with family and see the cousins play together. Simon quickly warmed up and played so great with his siblings and cousins. We enjoyed just talking together and reviewing the past couple of weeks. We needed more visit time, so we were all off to Matt and Tricia's house for pizza. So very tasty.

Finally, back home where--oh wow--we finally got home and arrived to balloons and craft supplies from our sweet neighbors and the cleanest house I've had in a long time. Gary, enjoy it now because it won't happen again for awhile. :) Jim and Rebecca had been staying at our house and left it so beautiful. Thank you so much!

Bedtime was quite the scene (Garrison and Simon talking and laughing and getting our of their bunks), but everyone is sleeping now including my mom who is staying to help for a few days. Thanks mom!

See how wonderful God is? "Thank you Lord for allowing me to see your Hand in such mighty ways over the past two weeks. It has been pure joy for me to follow you on this journey. I'm so confident that you will continue to go before us as our family begins on a new journey. I praise you for who you are--so mighty, awesome, and wanting the best for me and my family. I don't deserve any of this, yet you decided to give it to me. I can't praise you enough. I love you more than anything else in this world. Thanks for Gary, my kids, and for opening my eyes to see the hearts of the friends and family that you have placed in my life. I've been overwhelmed by the gifts given to us through them. Please give me opportunities to bless them as well."

We'll continue to post so check back. Thanks for walking on this journey with us. We covet your prayers as well adjust to a new time schedules, life with three kids. . . you get the picture. Please continue to pray for Simon as well. For the first time, we won't come into contact with anyone who speaks Chinese. He is doing great (he knows 39 English words!), but how challenging to have so much to say (oh the boy can talk!) and no one can understand.

Love you!
shanda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Our God is so great!!! Blessings to you and your family - and Welcome home, from another AGCI family

Amber said...

Yeah!!! I'm so glad you're home safe and that all of the family is finally together!!

I remember meeting my sister at the airport. Coolest thing ever.

Matt and Robin said...

Wow, what great news all around. Glad you can get back to a new normal! Prayed for you today and all that is coming for your new family. What a Thanksgiving!

Becky - stampin' and sewin' in the tulip city said...

Hi Shanda, Thanks so much for sharing your story of God's provision through your adoption. We can't wait to meet Simon!
Becky & Mike

Joy Pierce said...

Shanda
What a blessing! So glad you are home and your family is all together! Can't wait to see pictures of all the kids together....hint! hint!
Blessings,
Joy P (WCF)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you guys! I'm glad you are home safe. I have been praying for each of you! Love you guys. Carol

Babe said...

What to say!? An amazing story. So excited for each member of your family!!! Love you all. You are in our thoughts and prayers!