Sunday, November 16, 2008

Doing great

Hi



We are doing great and our internet seems to be moving at a snail's pace at last. At least it is an improvement. Our group today went to the safari park. We decided not to go along. It'll interfere with Simon's afternoon nap, so we worked on the blog this morning and then walked around looking for Chinese outfits for Simon, Garrison and Noel. They don't have many choices for boys.



Now we are back in our room and enjoying peanut butter and jelly as well as cucumber chips. That's right: not a type-o. I've heard about the crazy flavors of chips here, so when we went to the grocery store, I of course had to get a few to sample. I passed on the prawns, but did purchase blueberry: not bad, but just doesn't seem to be right. We also got cucumber, lime, sweet spicy flavor, and good ole salt and pepper. We'll let you know how things turn out.



We walked to the fish market yesterday morning before church and Gary got to hold an eel. Simon wasn't too excited about it. We didn't have much time to explore before church, so we'll make sure to visit again. Church yesterday was good. . . good to worship with other believers and good to experience feeling very different and very lost at times. The service was in Mandarin and English. They did their best to translate, but things can get lost. We did feel like we needed to "come, now is the time to worship". We sang to twice, so they much have really wanted us to be there. One of the Chinese songs had the characters as well as the pinion (spelling?) so we tried our best to sound it out. Being the only blonds in the place gave us a feeling of what Simon might feel at our church and school. We did miss Holland Heights and George's sermon: we look forward to being with you next week!!!



Nights are going great. Simon is sleeping well: we thank God for this each night. He is learning more English, yet talks up a storm all the time. If only we could understand this little guy: soon, I know. He is very obedient and we have so much fun with him. The only word that comes to mind is delightful. He is a delight. He'll be a great addition to our family. God is so very good.



We are a bit homesick at times. . . o.k. often. We try to keep busy as this helps, but we are ready to be reunited with our kids. We ask God to give us what we need each day and to enjoy our time here.



We relish your comments and covet your prayers. Thanks for following along and joining us in the journey.



Love

shanda, gary and simon

5 comments:

Christy said...

So glad to read the sleeping/eating is going well. That is great news! I can't get over how well he is adjusting, what a blessing. We are just overflowing with joy for you.
You will be home soon mommy and daddy, hang in there! Before you know it you will be sitting up at 1am reading someone else's blog for their adoption journey and amazed at how quickly the time has flown by! BTW - Jacob had an issue with the crib as well and we had to improvise. We understand that at least in Russia the kids are left there for hours at a time so we were probably unknowingly bringing up bad memories. ;o(
Ht and wt are great! Jacob was only 23.5lbs at 3.5 years old when we brought him home. Since I know mommies like to know I converted and ran an online growth calculator. I wasn't sure his birthday but here is what I found:
"At 30 months your child is 27.5 pounds, and that is
at the 22th percentile for weight and your child is 35.5 inches, and that is at the 30th percentile for height.
While its not the 95+% that Garrison is, it is awesome for intl adoption!!

Still praying!

Love ya,
Christy (Jim, Jacob, and Clayton)

KatieKate said...

SO loving keeping up with your journey.

And, um, I'll pass ont he chips, thank you very much.

Amber said...

Blueberry chips? That is weird! Sounds like things are going pretty well! I hope and pray the rest of your trip moves quickly and smoothly!

Babe said...

I am betting that Gary liked the sweet and spicy!? So, since he comes from a country that believes in arranged marriages, would it be possible to "arrange" Simon and Vivienne? Can you imagine how beautiful their children would be?

Trish said...

Hey there, can you shoot me an email for the day and time you are coming in so I can be one of the many who celebrate the moment of your family being reunited!