So. . . I did it. I went into an American restaurant of my own volition. I'm sitting at Starbucks and listening to Christmas music. Now, before you pass judgement: either good or bad, let me explain. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to a Starbucks: I don't drink any coffee and am not overly fond of warm drinks, so I rarely frequent. For my friends the coffee drinkers: now you know you can come to Guangzhou: there is a Starbucks! I'm here because the computer in our room only likes to work in the morning, so while the boys sleep, I thought I'd grab the computer, a Coke Zero, and purchase a piece of blueberry cheesecake (not exactly what I was hoping for in terms of taste. . .) and enjoy the comfy chairs.
This morning my devotions were about prayer. I have learned many new things about prayer in the past couple of months. God meant it when He told us to pray about everything. It has been just a joy for me to see prayers answered over and over again. I tend to worry, and God has humbled me into seeing that worry is such a worthless idol. This morning I finally gave Him our trip home on Friday. I've been worried about that ever since we decided to adopt from China. That is a long time (over 2 years) to worry about such things. Well, God has it. I'm going to pray about it and trust that He'll take care of getting us seats together (two of our three flights our family is not together), help Simon to sleep on the flight, help Simon to be occupied for around 22 hours of travel, and help me to be a good wife and mom despite the long travel and anticipated sleep deprivation,. In addition, I've asked him to keep pilots awake, help us avoid troublesome weather, and see that our plane and those in it arrive safe. Sound like a lot? Not for my God. Could you ask Him for these things on our behalf as well?
I did struggle this morning with distraction. I feel that I've received so much information over the past two weeks. . . I'm not exactly sure what to do with it all. It all seems to flood over me in those quiet moments when I'm not focused on some task or event. I've learned so much about China, about her people, about adoption, about other families, about why adoptions occur, about how families need help when they arrive home, about about about. It has been so wonderful to learn so very much each day. I'm sure I'll be doing much more thinking in the months ahead.
As we anticipate leaving, I start to think about every place we have been. At every stop that we have made, we've made friends. Isn't that so cool about God? Beijing: Angela. We stayed at her apartment for two nights and enjoyed her touring services. Such a sweet woman, so encouraging, and a believer. Fun to share that together. Changsha: The Reigers. So wonderful to receive their hospitality and see how God is using them to change lives, show God's love, and bring hope. Plus, they were fun to be with. Guangzhou: The Friends (that is the name of their family). We are both using the same agency and discovered we live just ten minutes apart back home. It's been fun to have a "taste of home" here in China and to celebrate our adoptions together. God is so good. Christians everywhere we have been to welcome us, talk with us, and encourage us.
Plus, we've loved messages from family and friends. I received two e-mails in particular this morning that made me laugh out loud! My mom shared a story with me about Garrison: can't wait to see that boy again. My sister shared a joke that her son, my nephew Bryce, had told. "What is the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef, but not everyone can pea soup!" Yup, funny. . . especially from a six year old. I can just hear his giggle. I'm excited to hear it from him in person. God, I see again the blessing of family. Thank you.
Blessings everywhere. I'll make sure to look a little more closely when I get home. I'll bet that God has plenty more for me in Zeeland. How fun that He decided to teach me one extra lesson on blessings by taking me half way around the world. I love that about Him: full of surprises.
Last night: Chinese dinner with all the families from our agency. What a super fun time!!!
Today: Consulate appointment: our paperwork looks great!!! Thank you Lord. We take the oath tomorrow morning.
Tonight: dinner cruise on the Pearl River. I'll let you know if Captain Stubbing is aboard.
So long from Starbucks. Gary will be back here tonight to work on pictures.
shanda
1 comment:
Isn't God great?!?!?! I love reading about all that you are hearing from God during this time. I felt the same way, trying to soak everything in, so much to think about and remember. In the midst of it all, God gently teaching and loving on you. Adoption is such a special gift, I am so grateful that you are having such a wonderful experience. Simon is absolutely darling and I can tell you are both so in love with him. Praying for you all as you head home soon!
Blessings,
Joy Pierce (WCF)
Post a Comment