Monday, September 27, 2010

Dishes

There is a plate and a bowl sitting on the high chair in the dining room. They have been there for two weeks. Why? 1. I don't need the high chair for a child at the moment. 2. I can't decide if I want to buy more to make a set or to return these two.

Here is the issue: I like my white dishes. We received most of them for our wedding (thanks again!). The problem is that my cupboard is filled with my lovely white dishes and a multitude of plastic dishes . I'm thankful that my kids can't break them and they clean up great. I'm just sick of the different sizes, sick of them falling out of the cupboards, sick of the colors (that's a lie---I love lots of color!), and sick of living in a pre-school. (I know I know. . . I do live in a pre-school. shhh I just don't want to always be reminded of it!) :)

So we are thinking about getting Corelle dishes. They are virtually unbreakable (yes. . . you can break them. I know. BUT, a general crash to the floor won't hurt them!), they can go into the microwave (unlike melamine which I totally wanted!!!), they can go into the oven, they can go into the dishwasher, they are light, and they don't take up a ton of space. The thought is that we'd put away the dishes that we love for awhile during this phase of our lives so to speak, and then bring them out again and enjoy them when our kids are older and less likely to break them.

My problem--there isn't a pattern I like. Too flowery. Too church-like. Too plain. Too muted. Too ugly. Too blah. Gary doesn't like it. Shanda doesn't like it. Blah blah blah. Every week I get a phone call during the day from Gary asking if I've decided yet. He'd like to either get them, or return them.

Ideas?

2 comments:

Rebecca: said...

Shanda! Just today I wrote on my gift idea list (b/c I always need to keep lists, and whenever I am asked for ideas for gifts I can never think of any at the time), that I wanted a set of Correlle. I planed to look at the different patterns at Meijers soon. So, obviously, I would say..."go for it!"

Nancy said...

I think if you are sick of that plastic, you should get them. I think they are nice and very functional. I don't mind the plastic right now, but might get sick of it soon. But, don't do it unless you are actually going to both be happy with it!