Here is the story with the entertaining (well to me anyway) ending.
*I went to the pre-school meeting at school and enjoyed two presentations. I signed up to bring, kleenex, granola bars, gold glitter, white glitter, and of course play-doh.
*Gary manned the ship at home.
*Noel didn't want to turn her head from the video and while walking backwards. . . she fell down the stairs.
*Gary called me to come home right away.
*I didn't have my phone. I left it in the car. I didn't want to be one of those moms whose phone goes off during the meeting.
*Gary left a message.
*Meanwhile: I made plans to go for some chit-chat and dessert with other pre-school moms. I got in the car and got ready to call Gary and ask if it would be o.k. if I go. . . ah . . . the message!
*There I go, speeding through Zeeland. shhh
*Everyone is in bed except for Noel. She doesn't have a concussion (I checked to see if her pupils dilated,), her nose doesn't appear to be broken (I poked at it and asked her if it hurt), yet it is swollen.
*Gary informs me that it bled.
*My gut tells me that she is o.k.
*We make calls to respected people and are encouraged to go. Better to be safe than sorry. I agree.
Location: Zeeland Hospital
*Noel is thrilled to be there. Pleased as punch as a matter of fact. She informs the registrar that she "fell down 15 steps and hurt her nose."
*We are asked to wait in the waiting area and as we turn, nurse Jodi is there. Noel is upset as she wanted to sit in the "living room".
*Noel loves getting her vitals taken, making sure first of course that there would be no shots involved.
*The doctor is on his way and we read a book that I so smartly brought along when a woman shows up with stickers and colors and a coloring page. I am trumped.
*Before she can get all the stickers off their backs, the doctor is here. He asks if he can look up Noel's nose. She informs him that is "o.k. and it will just tickle a little bit".
*She is fine and we'll be right in to finish the paperwork.
Here is the twist ending. . . .
Noel states that she does not want to go home. She does so several times and with ever increasing volume. It takes me several minutes to calm her down. . . o.k. I didn't calm her down but at least she wasn't screaming. Why would you want to go home? At the hospital she is the center of attention, she gets free stuff, and she doesn't have to go to bed. Not only that, but it is two hours after her bedtime. SWEET!
We leave the room and she begins yelling in earnest again. It takes everything in me to keep from laughing. . . you are right. . . I did laugh. Her voice echos off every clean floor. People are poking their heads out, the insurance lady (our last stop) is laughing as we walk in. We finally leave with the promise to Noel that she can have a snack when we get home. As we leave, the registration lady looks at me and says, "I heard the story. She doesn't want to go home." Lovely. . . word is circulating. Noel gives one last "I don't want to go home" before we go through the automatic doors, just for good measure. I hear the cleaning attendant laugh. At least they didn't bring me up on charges of child endangerment.
1 comment:
oh my goodness!! I am laughing so hard right now...Noel, she is one smart cookie!! LOVE the fact that you were able to laugh and remain calm. I think I would have started to get nervous that they wouldn't let me take her home.
Post a Comment