Friday, September 17, 2010

I just washed moss.

Yes I did.

Garrison is a treasure hunter. I try to encourage this. . . to a certain extent. He needs to keep his treasures (for the most part) outside. That mouse skull? Outside. 22 pinecones? outside. His chick-a-dee rock? outside. [For the record, I have no idea what a chick-a-dee rock is!] He wants to go on walks with me so that he can collect treasures (special sticks, mini-marbles, hair ties, plastic bags, etc.) He wants to to shopping so he can spend his time looking down, and sometimes crawling around if I'm not paying attention, searching for treasures. A recent trip to Carter's netted some awesome finds: lots of clothes tags, plastic wrap, and those size plastic things they put on hangers so you don't have to look on the tag for the size.

When he isn't looking I usually throw these treasures away. Sometimes he doesn't have any idea. Sometimes he goes through the trash to look. Sometimes he remembers. (Like when I pitched the flip-flop he had found at a park. Who needs one flip flop? In the wrong size? With a princess on it? Well. . . apparently Garrison.)

It is hard to explain the difference to him of what he can keep as a treasure and what he has to leave as a treasure. Keep: an old McDonald's happy meal toy. Leave: a used kleenex. Keep: a stick with three branches. Leave: the package of balloons at Meijer. (just because it was on the floor doesn't mean we can keep it!) You should have heard that one.

All in all, I think it is fun. I laugh at all that he finds. He gets others excited about hunting with him and it keep him entertained for hours. That boy keeps giving me lots to love. I think that he is a treasure. I'm going to keep him and even let him inside of the house. :)