Wednesday, September 15, 2010

First day of school

Here they are: the ever popular first day of school pictures!
Simon hams is up. He is wearing his special moster trucks shirt. We've been waiting many months for this moment!

"Yeah, I'm five."


Both boys are in pre-school at "El Puente" at Zeeland Christian.






I got a little teary. My little girl is going to school!
She proudly told everyone that she was "three".


Time to go home! (She didn't seem to appreciate that I was trying to get a picture in the midst of this tantrum. . . and that I was laughing as well.)

This was the beginning of Noel's meltdown. Many children cry when they have to stay at school without their parents. Oh no. . . not Noel! She cried when Maestra (her teacher) announced that it was time to go home. She had a throw-down, scream out loud, fall on the floor, many many tears fit! She would not be consoled. Sounds like the hospital visit eh?!? I ended up carrying her through the thousands (o.k., maybe fifty) of parents waiting to pick up their well-behaved-excited-to-go-home children while she screamed. What is it with little girl screams? I'm not a fan. I was laughing and embarassed at the same time. Just wait until she becomes a teen-ager. I'll get her back then. :)

If I didn't know her I'd say she didn't like being at home, but I know better. The truth is she loves the attention that school (and the hospital) can give her. Yup, she's ready to go to school. We'll see what happens this Friday!

2 comments:

Rebecca: said...

So Lydia had a HUGE meltdown when we left preschool on Monday too! Except hers was about having to leave her pair of shoes at preschool. (They require you to leave a pair of shoes for inside at school) Anyway, I had Asha too, so the teacher had to carry Lydia (kicking and screaming) out to the car...lovely, is all I could think.

our sweet life said...

it's always a bittersweet day...my kids were always the ones waving good-bye while other kids clung to their mothers. i just figured it was because they were secure enough to be without their mommy ;)