Today, I'm sitting on the couch with my feet up. I'm in pain. Mom's are supposed to "work through it" and keep on keeping on. I did that yesterday. I did that until Gary got home and I showed him my bandaged up foot which was blood soaked through new dressings and my second pair of socks. He wasn't happy with me when I told him I probably should be sitting with my feet up. I had minor surgery yesterday and "enjoyed" (awful!) having the sides of both of my big toenails removed. Not. Fun. It was especially "enjoyable" when one side wasn't numb enough and wham bam thank-you mam the digging began. I digress. The doctor and his lovely assistant gave me instructions to sit down with my feet up during the day. I almost laughed out loud. I assured them I would try. I did try and it just wasn't possible.
That changed as soon as Gary became aware of the situation. He sat me down, brought me dinner, gave me a foot rest, took care of the kids, and yelled at me when I began "working" on my way back to the couch following a bathroom break. I deserved it. (He didn't really yell at me, but he was quite insistent that I return to my digs.) He got on my case again this morning. Thanks honey. Though I'm very behind on household things, something else happened this morning. I heard all about Noel's dreams while she was sitting beside me on the couch. I read three books to Garrison. I cuddled with Simon for 10 minutes when he got up. I don't ever do that because I'm so busy in the morning. It was quite nice and a great reminder to me that though things in the house need to get done, sometimes it is o.k. to sit and be with your kids. I need to do that more often. Also, my toes aren't throbbing as much. Imagine that.
2 comments:
haha! rest up Shanda! hope that foot is as good as new in no time. Love your post about Kevin too.
So...you have a quote in this post that says,"keep on keeping on." Craziness but, I remember when you told me or us that in high school i think Bible class:) Well, I still use that quote in my life on a regular basis. Come to think of it, my husband said that to me today:) 10 plus years ago and it's still going strong! Hope all is well
Post a Comment