Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The first snow

I think the first snowfall of the year is amazing--and quite funny. Amazing because my God decided to give it to us. He could have chosen so many other ways, way less boring and beautiful, to water the earth. But instead, He gave us not only snow, but many different kinds of snow. I just love Him and I clapped for Him today. I know He'll give me an encore.

The first snowfall is funny as well. First, Garrison was my first one up with me this morning. I noticed the snow and turned all of the lights out in the house. I called him over to me by the sliders and turned on the outside Christmas lights. I will forever remember his face. Pure awe with a side of joy. He was so excited he almost couldn't speak (crazy for my Garrison!). We talked about snow, about when he could go outside, about what he wanted for breakfast. We moved on with the morning and I turned the lights back on so I could indulge my son and get him some food. While I was in the kitchen I heard a shriek from the living room. Garrison began shouting to me (not a good idea in a house with four sleeping people in it!) that there was snow in the front of the house too! Isn't this amazing!?! Yes, I laughed. It is so cool how there is snow in the front and the back of the house.

The other thing I find funny about the first snowfall is that it seems people can't talk about anything else! There were millions (well maybe 20) posts on facebook about snow. People at school, comments on the radio. . . it amuses (which should be spelled with a "z" by the way) me that we suddenly have to announce the obvious to each other. I've smiled many times today.

So friends in West Michigan, enjoy the first snow. It certainly is beautiful. . . although not as beautiful as the precious baby sleeping in my arms right now--yup, I'm multi-talented. Now ya know.

1 comment:

one blessed mama said...

i have to admit, i get 'garrison-giddy-happy' EVERY SINGLE time it snows!!! could be the midwest girl at heart. could be that i'm a homebody and nasty weather outside gives me NO guilt about wanting to say there! maybe i just have wonderful memories of growing up with MUCH snow...much more back then. El nino?????? i'm with you, everytime a flake falls, i thank God for dropping this stuff from Heaven instead of something else...like...split pea soup or mashed potatoes, although, that may not be such a bad thing. anywho, my point being...i love snow. and you.
the end.