Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Traditions

I love traditions. I love remembering them, participating in them, and creating new ones. Sometimes I think I go overboard---shhh---don't tell Gary that I actually admitted it. :)

This morning at Bible Study (a post for tomorrow!) several people shared traditions that happen in their house in regards to Christmas. I loved it. Loved. It. Delicious eggs dishes, a Christmas quilt that is passed on, favorite games. . . it was so much fun.

Of course, in my own family we have traditions. Gary's family does a sock (stocking) on Christmas morning. It must always include crayons and a coloring book. My family, well my family has TRADITIONS. Clues to discover a present, doing something outside, a big meal involving beef, pajamas for the kids, sharing prayer requests as a family for the coming year, getting fruit snacks from off of the tree, dad writing a Christmas blessing for each of us, some sort of surprise game, a 10 hour celebration, and it used to include jell-o in a cloud.

Our kids are at a great age for beginning some traditions. Gary and I are trying some things. . . thinking about what we'd like to pass on to them. There are too many things I'd like to do, so we must narrow it down. The kids always do their hand prints at Christmas. We do the Christmas stockings. We always take a drive and listen to Christmas music and look at the lights. We deviated this year from getting our usual "kind" of Christmas tree and instead went with a Frasier Fir. A welcome change I think. The kids will be remembering more and more about Christmas and what we do in our house. Do you have any favorites? I'd love to hear.

3 comments:

The Westendorps said...

decorating cookies with friends of all kinds...still exists at our house! great memories/great tradition...love having shared it with your fam.
nancy

Nancy said...

We always have a kids' picture in pjs in front of the tree with stockings in hand. My family even did that the year I was married. They are crazy to look at but so much fun!

My great-grandma, grandma, and now my mom make home made stockings from a pattern for each of us with our names on them. Lot's of memories there.

This year we are doing an advent wreath with our kids. Emily loves lighting a candle at dinner time. I have lots of good memories of that one too.

Now is definitely the time to start more traditions!

our sweet life said...

i.love.christmas traditions~they're some of my favorite memories!!