Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My favorite coach

I went to a basketball game on Friday night. I didn't stay until the end and I can't you many names of the players on the team. I didn't wear team colors. I don't teach any of the students. I left with my boys at halftime. It was after all bedtime for them.

I got teary eyed several times during the game. See, my little brother is the coach. Ah, such pride from this big sister. I had my camera out and got photos of his first steps on the home court as the varsity coach. :) I'm not proud because of how they did or how they played basketball. I'm proud because my brother is more than just basketball. See, his philosophy is that he is coaching these guys to be men of character, men who do what is right before God. Basketball is second. I know from listening to him that there are lots of ways that he does this. Let me tell you instead what I see on the court and read in the paper.

1. When the starting players are announced, they do all the special handshake blah blah with their teammates (standard), they shake the hand of the opposing coach (standard), and then they shake the hands of the officials. What?!? That is so very cool.
2. When someone falls down on the court, Kevin's players are there to lend a hand. It doesn't matter what team they are on, they are always there to lend a hand. Love it!
3. When the paper interviews the coach after a tough loss and focuses on what the players did wrong and how the technical foul changed the momentum of a game. . . . Kevin (my brother) talks about how this great kid apologized to his team after the game and what a stand up kid he is. No blame. No frustration. Grace.

I'm looking forward to more games. I'm also praying that God puts people like Kevin in the lives of my kids. It doesn't matter if it is sports, a job, fine arts. . . whatever they choose to be a part of. . . I want men and women of character to coach them and teach them to be young people of God's character.

1 comment:

Lynn Drenth said...

Sure wish you AND Kevin could come back to CCHS. We have lost something in our sports teams...Christ first, sport second.