Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dad update

Hi all
My blog is basically two things. Living my life with my kids. . . just trying to be the best daughter of the King that I can be, and giving updates about my dad. They are worlds apart in some ways, and intertwined in other ways. This isn't one of these what-did-that-wacky-Shanda-do-today kind of blog posts. If you were hoping for that, perhaps another day. :) I always have so much I could share.
Tuesday night it was my turn to go the the group meeting at O.A.R. Every time I go I am more impressed with this organization. If you need help at all, in any way, with any kind of addiction, I would highly recommend this place. If you need to donate some funds to a reputable organization, I'd pass this name along to you as well.
Tuesday night we did something a little different. Rather than talk, share and learn from each other, we watched a video. It was rather amazing. It examined whether addiction is a disease. It showed the process that the brain goes through when drugs are used. It was. . . wow. I learned a ton. I learned what has been happening in my dad's brain for years. I learned how amazing and complex the brain is. I took notes on two different donation envelopes. I learned about how very real cravings are. . . something that I have never experienced. Ask me for a great analogy sometime if you are interested. I learned that the "pleasure" line in our brains has been raised so high for dad that they only thing that can give him pleasure is drug use. Did you know there is a periodic table of intoxicants? I'm getting educated. I learned that recovery is possible, though very very very very difficult. Genes are a part of the picture and a great gift I can give to my children is to model recovery. I plan to do it. The whole night was so informative, discouraging, and hopeful. I'm still chewing on it.
Dad is sober. Dad is attending counseling. He is not manipulating the counselor. He is listening to my mom. Hopefully soon we'll be going as a family to counseling at O.A.R. (remember them?) and they'll help us begin the process of reconnecting as a family. This is hard work. My dad is working hard. My mom. . . bless her dear dear heart. . . is working very hard. Most of all, God is working wonderful things in our lives because of your prayers. Thank you. Please continue to pray as we learn, work, and heal together.
If you'd like to hear more or have personal questions for me, feel free to post a comment or e-mail me at sgsprick@yahoo.com

3 comments:

our sweet life said...

that video sounds interesting... do you know what it was called? we have someone in our church that is going thru the same thing~very, very difficult for the family! we are still praying for your whole family and hoping that this is real~we KNOW God can do it!

shanda said...

The video is called "Pleasure Unwoven" and is put out by the Institute for Addiction Study. Very good at explaining how the brain functions in an addicts head.

CCHS said...

hey! I've missed out on updates for a while. I saw a man who reminded me so much of how I remember your father. I've been wondering and praying for you all. I'm proud of the journey that you have taken, and how much you have been leaning on our Father. love you!~Cristin