Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Excited and Nervous

I received a facebook message last week from a friend. She and I taught Bible together at Chicago Christian. She asked if I'd consider being a speaker at a conference in Chicago in March. The topic? "Walking alongside others who are grieving."
Seriously, could this be more appropriate for the journey my feet are on at the moment? I shouldn't be so surprised that God would put this together, yet I can't help but feel so very amazed! I hope I never lose my awe and wonder of how God works. Their original speaker had a conflict, so she thought of me. I smile at that one. . . I don't think I would have been in a position to even think about speaking had she asked me last year. See how God works? She wanted me to know that I shouldn't feel like the second choice at all. I don't. I feel especially important because God orchestrated it all.
So in March many of the lessons that I've been learning over the past year and a half will be shared with folks at this conference. She asked that I share what I learned in Israel when our guide David died on our trip and we sat Shiva with his family. I thought I'd add lessons learned from when Gary and I suffered a miscarriage as well.
I'm excited and nervous! I am the only speaker without lots of credentials. I don't have training in this area. Rev. James Kok from the Crystal Cathedral will be speaking as well. Gulp. I am not really known in the area anymore, so perhaps no one will come to hear me. I have to speak for a whole hour! Yet, I feel this is a great opportunity from God. I love public speaking. . . I just never dreamed I'd be talking about grief. I'm jotting down ideas as they come to me and I'm talking with God a lot about it all. If you have any insight: something great or not as great that was said or done to you while you were grieving, I'd love to have you share it with me.

How cool that God is using some pretty tough times in my life to perhaps help and encourage others. Love it!

5 comments:

Lynn Drenth said...

When and where will you be? I would love to come and hear you speak. You are such an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

i'm not surprised. God's good like that. :)

shanda said...

Lynn
It is March 5 at Trinity. Kindness and Caring conference.

I'd love to see you too.

our sweet life said...

just be yourself and they'll love you! God does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He? what an amazing opportunity!!!

Jan Visser said...

Shanda,
I was looking for your email address on your FB page & found your blog! You know, it IS amazing how God works! I am really so excited about His timing and His using your experiences (which become your credentials) to share with others to teach,encourage, and inspire them. Thank you for being obedient to God's call (glad it's not just my call.) :>