Saturday, January 1, 2011

Post-Christmas

All the decorations came down this morning. I'm not so very sad about that, but I do pause when I take down some of my more "precious" items. I have a hard time taking down the nativity, especially the angel who is proclaiming the news. I bought a different angel than the one that was suggested. I like this one better because the angels arms are thrown high into the air and the head is looking heavenward. I do the same thing when I think about what God did for me. This year as we were taking out the nativity, the kids and I talked about each piece as they came out of the box. I cried when the angel came out and we talked about how excited the angels must have been, how fun it was to finally share the surprise that had been a long time in planning.

The other items that I have a hard time taking down are the Christmas cards. As they arrive, I tape them to my kitchen cupboards. I love seeing friends and family. I love remembering and praying for them. They light up my kitchen. These people light up my life. I will miss them.

We had a good Christmas. The Koeman family party was great! It is an all day affair that includes appetizers, playing outside, white elephant gifts, dinner, presents for the kids, slides, and tons of laughter! We celebrated Christmas with Gary's folks when we were there for Thanksgiving. Mom Petty (Gary's mom) sent a wonderful package filled with stocking stuffers for the kids and gift cards for all. Our own family Christmas was the most delightful yet. The kids remember more and more from previous years. The excitement level is high, mostly for me I think. :) Gary and I loved making Christmas for them. Dinner, gifts which included a treasure hunt for each one, driving around looking at the lights and counting nativities, singing Christmas carols, reading of His Story, stockings, and eating cupcakes after singing "Happy Birthday Jesus" on Christmas morning were some of the highlights. We capped things off with the Sternberg (my mom's side) party at our church. Along the way we hosted two cookie decorating parties at our house.

It was a great holiday season and I loved the joy, the busyness, as well as the slower pace of the past two weeks. Only two days until the kids go back to school. I have a few goals for the coming year. I'm still finalizing them. I'll let you know how that pans out.

1 comment:

our sweet life said...

i know i've said this before...but i want to be one of your kids! ;)

and...i've made an album where each family gets a 'double page spread' and every year their picture gets added~it's so fun to see how the family has changed and it's so easy to pull it out once in a while and remenice (sp?!).