Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Beware of cool

In December of 1983, my sister and I eagerly got ready for our special night with Grandma and Grandpa Sternberg. Rather than give us a gift (which mom had purchased), they instead gave us each $20.00 (TWENTY DOLLARS!) and we headed to the "big mall" in Grand Rapids. Tricia and I both loved this night. We got to travel to the big city, we got to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa, we were able to shop, and to top it off. . . .we got to go out for dinner. Grandma would shop with us while Grandpa found a bench to sit on. We'd surprise him at some point with a cookie from Mrs. Fields.
On this particular Saturday night, I was bound and determined to get a Swatch Watch. All of the cool eighth graders wore them and I was going to as well. Not only that, but I was going to chose one that no one else had. I had saved my change and was able to buy this beautiful watch for $55.00 plus tax. . . a huge amount of money in my mind.
Though I wasn't the envy of every eighth grader, I did get several compliment and I LOVED my watch.

Fast forward 18 years. Though my swatch watch was long gone, I still remembered it. I searched for it on ebay and lo and behold--I bought myself another all white swatch watch--for $23.o0. It didn't work, but I had it.

While camping a few week-ends ago I discovered that I needed to know what time it was. I don't usually wear a watch--clocks are all around me. . . except of course while camping. Did my kids need to eat? What time is it? Does Penny need a nap? What time is it? What? It is 8:30? Why aren't my kids getting into bed? Why time is is? I'm exhausted. Oh, only 9:45. Boo.

We are anticipating camping again next week. I'm excited and nervous.
BUT
I will have a watch. :) I asked Gary if he could get a new battery. . .and he did. I will know what time it is and I will be the coolest person at the Conference Grounds. I'll be sporting the Swatch Watch baby.


2 comments:

CharityVL said...

Conference Grounds? Packing for it as I type this. Best camping place on earth. (Checked your blog out via my sis-in-law).

LJFredricks said...

CHARITY!!! NO FRIEND STEALING!! Kidding I love you both like sisters. Sisters who share swatch watches. Shanda did you go to westshore mall or make it all the way out to 28th street?