Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Etched in cement

We had a cement pad poured in on the east side of our house. We didn't really use the space. . . very close to the neighbors. . . can't grow cool flowers or veggies because it doesn't get much sun. . .and on a bit of an incline. Since we inherited a camping trailer from my folks, we thought it best to have a place to store it. Hence, the cement pad. We got bids. . . blah blah blah. . .
Tyler David (fabulous) comes and excavates. We celebrate that there are cool loaders at our house! We run outside, we take pictures. Then, they leave. Dum de dum. Oh, the cement isn't coming until the following week. Monday comes and the cement company arrives! Yes! They put in all the forms and announce they'll be pouring the next day. . . be ready at 7:30 a.m.

This sounds great. I have it in my head (and it is not getting out!) that I want to have my kids put their hand prints into the cement. This is very important to me. I'm not sure why, but it is. Wet cement that we paid for deserves the cutest hand prints ever. There is one problem. I have plans with my friend Rae. We are going to picnic and hike. What a fabulous way to spend a Tuesday! Then. . . drama for Shanda. They pour late, the cement needs to set longer than what was originally anticipated. . .I feel so bad. I'm asking Rae if we can meet a little later so that I can. . . yes. . . put my kids hands in cement! I must say that I have a pretty awesome friend because she offered to come to my house and picnic while we waited for "the word" that it was time. The word finally came and we put our hands in the cement. I danced and celebrated with glee! But alas. . . everything is not right in Sprickland. Scroll down and watch. . . .



Garrison is the first to go. He does an excellent job. This is not the problem.

















Simon is next and he also does a fabulous job. This is not the problem.

















Noel's turn and she does great. This is not the problem.














Penny had a bit of trouble. It was very important to her to grab the cement. Still, I did not consider this a problem.












Here is the final shot. The problem? I forgot to put the date in! About an hour and a half after Rae and her kids left I realized my error! I ran outside with a sharp pencil and scraped the date in the cement. It isn't very visible in the photo, but I got it! I won! I won! June 16, 2011. (Right below Garrison and Simon's prints.) I was so proud of myself for remembering. . . after I had forgotten. I even thanked God for bringing it to my mind.

Yet. . . I must confess. . .there is still a problem. The cement was poured on June 14.



2 comments:

LJFredricks said...

HAHAHAAHA! By the time you remembered everything was it the 16th? You are awesome.

one blessed mama said...

LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!
dear girl, NO one would have ever known any different but now that you have put it on your blog, everyone will smile everytime they see it!! LOVE you for admitting your 'adorable error'! also, SO awesome hanging out the other night? who's got all the pics?? :) must blog.