Monday, September 12, 2011

Blogging

I've been thinking about blogging and why I blog. See, the stats for this blog have been dropping. Now, this really shouldn't be an issue as I don't blog to make money. I don't blog to raise money. I don't blog to make friends, yet. . . I began to feel unpopular. How silly Shanda! I struggle, at some times more than others, with what others think of me. Perhaps this is an issue for you as well.

So I've been thinking about why I blog and perhaps why readership is waning. I began blogging when we went to China to get our dear Simon. I continued as folks wanted to know about Simon's adjustment and medical treatment as well as our adjustment as a whole family. I found that I was able to reconnect with some far-away friends (Karen, Traci, and Lori to name a few) through the blog and it helped our relationship. I liked that.

Then things went KA-BOOM in my family. We were sent reeling into the arms of the Lord with my dad's addiction. Rumors and rumors of rumors were rampant! This blog became a place where folks would find information about what was happening in my family. It also became a place that I could use to process information. I grew a lot in the past two years. I made myself very vulnerable at times on this blog. I asked for many prayers. I told silly stories.

Drama with my dad has calmed way down. I continue to do crazy things as a mom and I continue to try to be the best wife and mom I can be. So, I think I'll keep blogging. I like it. I like processing and I really like having a written record of stuff that is happening in my family. Someday, I'll pony up the money and have it printed. Blogs may become obsolete in the future, but my kids will have a record. . . through my eyes. I like that. When new updates happen with dad (my folks are dating just so you know) I'll fill you in. When we go for our first broken bone, you'll find it here. We won't be announcing another pregnancy just for the record. :) For those who still read, thanks for coming along. For those who have gone to new places, thanks for traveling with me for awhile.

6 comments:

LJFredricks said...

I love checking your blog, and I LOVE you.So there.

Heather said...

i hope you keep blogging :). I love reading your blogs. While we've never been formally introduced, I'm sure we've met at the good old grounds. I worked w/ Kevin for a few summers there, and your SIL Kate is a good friend of mine from college.

our sweet life said...

i love your blog~it's one of my favorites! and it was so neat that when i saw you last time i was in MI i felt like i knew your kids. you are a wonderful wife and mother and that shines through here. so don't even THINK about stopping. please. love you girl!

The Rottmans said...

Shanda, I read your blog! I love hearing your 'voice' from far away Grand Rapids! ha. Not far away at all, but amazing how our lives don't connect very often. So it is so nice to connect to you via the internet and to learn from you, as I always do in so many ways, from afar (:

Gretchen

one blessed mama said...

love, LOVE, SUPER LOVE your blog. never stop sister. i need your silly stories and insights into life. you make my life better by being in it. love you friend.

Rae said...

Hey Shanda!!!
I am so glad you blog. I haven't been reading many blogs lately, so I'm catching up now! I love reading about you and your family. You always make me smile.

(BTW, July/August is typically the lowest-traffic time of the year, my traffic is always lower too! Not sure if that helps, but...)