Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sex-Ed

This week my first sex-ed conversation occurred with one of my children: Simon. All the other kids were sleeping, so it was just the two of us chatting. Although I use quotes, it may not be exact as I've retold the story numerous times. If I've already told you, feel free to come back some other time for a post that might interest you.

"Mom? It's kinda funny. It's kinda funny how you have to be married to have a baby and people who aren't married don't have a baby. I know that married people kiss and hold hands and stuff. Is that how married people get a baby? How does that happen mom?"
"Well Simon, when you are married you can sleep together in the same bed. When you sleep together you show each other that you love each other and then you can have a baby. Before you get married, you don't really sleep in the same bed together."
"Ohhhhhh, so married people sleep together and that is how they get a baby. And if you aren't married you don't sleep in the same bed."
"Yup. I hope that someday you'll find God's best for you and you'll get married to a wonderful woman and you can have kids too. I'd like to be a grand----"
"Mom (interrupted as I was talking too much!) know what else is funny? If I was snowboarding and then I went down a straight part, then a curve, then a straight part, then a curve, and then a straight part. . . I could do a flip at the end. Isn't that funny mom?"
"You got that right."

I posted an abridged version of this on my facebook page and it was interesting to read the comments. Some think Simon is ready for the parts speech. One suggested I let him loose in the public library and he'll read about it all on his own.

Frankly, I don't think he was looking for parts, not yet. He'll be my first to ask about it though. I think I did a bang up job if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

our sweet life said...

at first i thought you were talking about ed and i ;) you did a superb job...and you said exactly what i've told my kids all along...you CAN'T have a baby if you're not married. it gets a little weird when they know the truth...the story has to change~eek!