It is hard to make friends as an adult. I used to have school, then I had college. I worked at two different schools and made friends there. Now, my regular friends are ages 6, 5, 4 and 1.
In the past month though, there seems to be a focus. Let me share a couple of the discoveries that God has taught me through them. (If you are my friend and you can't seem to find yourself on this list: fear not! I love you dearly and I am just choosing to share these and keep you close to my heart.)
1. You will never "get over" the death of a parent. I will ALWAYS listen to you when you need to talk, remember, or cry. Always.
2. You have taught me that my assessment of the situation is not the best way. I never thought that if a child is treating my kid poorly in school, perhaps I should invite said child and their mama over to my house. Rather than chastise this child of God, talk poorly about them behind their back, tell my child to just "stay away" or think bad thoughts of poor parenting (rarely the case!)--I might instead offer to play with them and my child and teach them how to be a good friend. Really!?! What a brilliant and difficult thing to do. Thanks for teaching me this.
3. You have taught me that I need to be more honest about where I am in regards to my values and opinions. I shouldn't be afraid to say what I think because I disagree with you. We can disagree about stuff. It isn't a big deal.
4. You have taught me that I need to carve out more time. Your friendship is so important to me and I often let it slide because it is so very good--yet then I miss out on you and I love you so very much!
5. You have taught me once again that everything is not perfect in perfectville. Thanks for being vulnerable with me and letting me pray for you.
6. You have taught me that I need to be more in step with the Holy Spirit. You are Spirit-filled and your e-mail has caused me food for thought. What do I need to do so hear and then obey the Spirit?
7. You have taught me that I don't have to be friends with everyone. I am not your friend. It is o.k. for us to not be friends.
8. You came to earth for me and left heaven for the comforts of a stable. Really? I would not want to do that at all. Thanks friend for being willing to do that for me.
Thanks my friends for helping me to grow as a person, as a child of God, and as a friend.
1 comment:
Beautiful friendships that you have.
Post a Comment