So, I've been dreaming about a tattoo. Well, I haven't really dreamt about it. . . I've been thinking about it for a long time. So, let's answer the questions and then the explanation. Yes, this is the inside of my left arm. Yes, this is real. Yes, it really is a tattoo. Yes, I was sober. Yes, Gary knew about it. Yes, my mom knows. Yes.
For several years know I've been thinking about getting a tattoo, one that reflects me. I didn't know what I wanted or where I wanted to get it on my body. I wanted something that could be seen and not hidden all the time. I wanted something that I could protect and hide if I wanted to choose that. I didn't want something huge, but wanted to have something that could actually be seen. Do you hear me?
Then. . . what to get? There wasn't anything that tripped my trigger. I had a facebook friend who had written on the inside of her wrist a word that was important to her. Something about that resonated with me. What word? Hmmmm Joy. :)
So, I began about a year ago to think about how joy could look. Font? Size? Then in Michael's last summer I saw this on a stamp and bought it. This joy was what I wanted. Size. Font. Perfect.
I decided that I would get this as a tattoo once I got to my goal weight. Joy! I chatted with my friend Carol about it when she visited from Chicago last October. She (and her husband Antionne and daughter Olivia) come about twice a year to visit. We love it! She stated that she wanted one too--let's get them together the next time you visit. Yeah! A plan was hatched. Perhaps they would come again in the spring.
So. . . .I'm not at my goal weight, but the week before Christmas Antionne calls and asks if they can come for New Years. Of course! Tattoos!?! I'm not ready! I'm not ready!
Suddenly the reality set it. Would I really do it? I'm not at my goal weight! Should I just get the word joy or get something else with it. I drew up many designs--my favorite was joy with five small stars (kids) and one large star (Gary) and Ps. 34 (because it is my favorite Psalm). I liked it--it symbolized me--but it was a bit much.
The morning of December 31 I thought-just be you. Orange tulips baby. Gary proposed to me using orange tulips. I love them. Love. Them.
So we picked up the babysitters, got into the car, went off for dinner, and ALL got tattoos! How crazy is that? I'll never forget that night. It was so great and fun and scary and interesting and permanent.
My plan was to write a blog post after I was all thin and sassy. New look, new tattoo, new joy. BUT, Carol posted pictures on facebook and tagged a picture of me with the tattoo. Hmmm I think I'll post this now. :)
Hope that you are finding joy today.
2 comments:
OH MY GARSH I LOVE IT!!! It's perfect for you. Love it.
AMAZING!!!!
i've been dreaming of a tatoo for years now. however, one little problem, the hub says "NO". it's not like i want to get a big ol' picture of a dragon or my x-boyfriends name or my next weeks shopping list.
i want simple, just like you.
i've had mine picked out for years!
a small Jesus fish, with a cross in the middle on the inside of my left ankle (i figure it will never get saggy there). cool right?
since he NEVER forbids (he didn't actually forbid me, he STRONGLY told me "NO BABE".) me to do anything, this is a situation where i need to choose to grant his wishes. and when the hub is happy, this mama is happy. :)
that being said, i think i'm wearing him down. :D
Post a Comment