Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why are you crying?




So, we checked out this book from the library. I don't sit and read every children's book before I check them out. I use the Zeeland Public Library's. . . sorry. . . the Howard Miller Library's (money talks and names libraries) color coding system. Light blue is appropriate for my kids. We each choose a few (12), check them out, and we are off. Going to the library with four kids is fun, but libraries in general appreciate quiet. We can only do that for a little bit. Penny can not do it, especially since she has become obsessed with clocks and shouts out "cock" every time she sees one. I think it is adorable, although shouting "Cock!" in a library might not always be appropriate. :) Being in the Howard Miller Library--well, there are a lot of clocks. I digress.

So, we checked out My Red Balloon. We sit down one night to read together. This book. This book. This book made me cry. I figured it out after about the third page. I knew I was going to cry and sure enough, I had to pause. This is about a boy whose dad is coming home after defending our country. He promised his dad he would be holding a red balloon so his dad could find him, after all he has grown and his dad might not recognize him. The ship comes in and the boy loses the balloon! How will hid dad find him?

So I'm reading this with my three oldest all around me. My kids. My kids that I love. Gary is putting Penny to bed. As I'm reading I'm aware of my freedom; I'm aware that one or more of my children might choose or might be "asked" to serve. I'm aware that Gary is home and not gone for months at a time. I'm very aware that this is VERY real for moms, wives, dads, and kids. I'm filled with gratitude.

"Mom, why are you crying?" I'm crying because I love you and I'm thankful that we can sit here on this couch and read together. I'm glad that your dad isn't going to be gone for a long time. I'm thankful that there are moms and dads who are willing to take care of us.

They didn't get it. I'll keep telling them. I did make it the next time without crying though.

No comments: