Monday, January 2, 2012

Out for Chinese

We received a coupon in the mail about a month ago for a new local Chinese buffet restaurant. Since my healthy living begins again tomorrow, since we do enjoy Chinese food, and since we are cheap we decided to go out tonight. It just got funnier and funnier.
First, we arrived and were the only people there. We walked on in and three folks were taking covers off of the food on the buffet. Our confidence in the restaurant waned. No one else in the place and . . .um. . how long has this food been sitting there? We decided to stay and were rewarded with undivided attention from our server as well as the company of six other folks who came while we were eating. Garrison gave us a new head count every time another person came in. Funny.
One reason I like buffets is that we can get food right away and find things that each child will like. I went with the three older kids while Penny and Gary played with ice. Good times. I sent the three ducks back to the table and then I grabbed a plate for Penny. I sat down and sent Gary off. It was then that I noticed the music.
Piano music. Hymns. My smile grew as I listened to "He touched me" "Abide with Me" and "There's just something about that name." I felt like I had been transported to my friend Kerri Langejans' basement where we would practice that last song and sing it in nursing homes. I need to look her up. The music just seemed out of place.
Our hovering waitress ventured over (again) to chat and ask where we had gotten Simon from. "Hunan province" I responded. She was shocked. I'm not sure where else I'd go except China to get a Chinese son. Maybe there is a closer place! Let me know if you hear of anything. She described Simon as being lucky. "Indeed he is not, I am." I replied back to her. She nodded and said we both were. Garrison decided to use his Mandarin that he has been learning at school. She about fell over. Over the course of our supper, she returned to the table to talk with Garrison and check out his Chinese. . . she only came when Gary was gone getting something for someone. I guess Gary's new Amish looking beard is intimidating. :)
Simon left for about 10 minutes to use the bathroom. Penny only wanted to eat oranges. Noel tried to eat Jell-o off of the floor. As we left, Penny tried to eat the food she had dropped on the floor. . . and promptly threw a fit. Four of us (including me) had Superman ice cream. Love it! Garrison ate Chinese chicken nuggets (sweet-n-sour) chicken as well as two rolls. That is it. White food. Ack! Simon was enthralled with the shrimp and their "handles" (tails). Noel only wanted ice cream and fortune cookies.
An elderly couple next to us was greeted by one of the cooks. It was very apparent that they knew each other. It was also apparent that the cook didn't speak much English. This gentleman kept trying to ask him questions and he got louder and louder. I was trying so hard not to laugh in his direction. Finally his wife looked at him and said "he isn't deaf". He looked at her and proceeded to take it down a notch. That's a good woman.
Gary kept looking at me funny during dinner. . . my smile kept getting bigger. I was living a blog post. Penny insisted--in the way that a 1 1/2 year old insists--with loud grunting, shouting and crying--that she needed an ice cream cone too. All I could do was laugh. It just kept getting better and better. On the way home Simon lost his putty--lost as in had it taken away. See, my nephew Bryce traded his silly putty for 12 of Garrison's baseball cards. Garrison traded Simon five dimes for the putty. Simon decided to make a trade again with Garrison in the back seat (because he had brought his putty along!)rather than get his seat belt on. Safety first kids. I didn't let him see my smile.
Funny stuff my friends. Funny stuff. I love my life. . . even at mediocre Chinese buffets that cost way more than they are worth.

2 comments:

our sweet life said...

And i love hearing about your life!!! A blessed new year to you and your family~hopefully we'll get to see you again very soon!
PS-Kari Langejans is now a Nieuwenhuis...go figure!! I think they live in Grandville or something. How's THAT for putting personal info. out there?! Whoopsie.

Jana said...

Glad you had a good Christmas/New Year's celebration. Kerri attends our church, and lives in Hudsonville. She has 3 active boys. :) I see her often so I will mention your fond memories of singing and playing piano. Good luck getting back into the daily routine!