Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree Lights

We put up our Christmas tree in the spot where I normally have my "devotions" chair. There is a light right behind it that operates using a remote control-I do need to see God's Word. Love it.
That meant that our tree lights were plugged into the remote control contraption. I could turn them on and off so easily. Our other tree, a ceramic lit one lovingly made by Grandma Arlene, sat on top of the piano and was also controlled via the remote.
Every morning (well, most mornings) I would wander through the living room to the laundry room to grab a Diet Mountain Dew. Then, I'd turn on the Christmas tree lights and have my devotions sitting by the tree. It was awesome. I'm always a little sad to take the tree down every year because I miss those mornings.
Penny is generally my first to awake and also the most excited about the lights. As I went to get her each morning, I'd turn the Christmas lights off so that we could enjoy turning them on again together. After whispering our good mornings to each other, I'd carry her into the living room where she would shout "Off! Off!". "Are the lights off Penny?" "Yes!" "Would you like to have me turn them on?" "Yes!" "Ready, one, two three." We'd both cheer as the lights would sparkle on the big tree and then we'd turn our attention to the little tree. We followed this ritual every morning and several times each day. Penny wanted the lights on all the time and would discover when I had turn them off. :)
Last week we took down the big tree. We had friends coming for the week-end and wanted the extra room. Penny saw the tree come down, yet was so very surprised the next morning when there was only one little tree to light. Confusion. Disappointment. Sadness from my youngest.
The tree has been down for almost a week already, yet this morning she wanted the same routine. "Off! Off!" We turned the lights on and then she looked to where our tree used to be. "Uh oh." Yes Penny, I agree.

The blogger in me wants to find some lesson from all of this, some way to tie it in to life's bigger picture. Perhaps I need to remember the joy of Christmas every day. To get excited about baby Jesus every day. Or perhaps I need to learn from my daughter that change is going to happen. Even though I like some things in my life. . . there comes a time when we need to let go, enjoy the change and the better lighting.

Nope, I'm gonna remember this for what it is. Pure joy between my daughter and me every morning. Wonderment over Christmas lights. We celebrated every morning together and I doubt I'll ever get to do that again. She is a delight and helped make my Christmas all the more wonderful.

I'm not sure what will happen though when the little tree comes down.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Tillie loved the tree so much last year that I bought out a tinsel tree when we took the big one down. Valentine's day gets a tree with heart garland on it now. :)