My kids like a book called Bun Bun Button. I like it too. My oldest most sensitive child cried and pushed himself back into the couch the first time we read it because Bun Bun (the stuff rabbit and lovey to our dear little Paige) gets whisked away by a red balloon. Oh, so very sad. (Spoiler: Bun Bun falls back to earth right into Gramma's [spelling as in the book] garden! Amazing!)
Now, this book has become a favorite, I think because of the happy ending. There is also a fabulous Gramma who watched Paige everyday after school (as so many Grandmas do!) and has a fabulous blue chair that oozes love and she makes fabulous "soft sand cookies".
These cookies are mentioned many times in the book and guess what---my kids want to make soft sand cookies! Sounds great! Let's do it! Um. . . . not one of my cookbooks has a recipe for "soft sand cookies". Not one of my cookbooks has a recipe for "sand cookies". The internet is loaded with recipes for sand cookies, old dutch sand cookies (sounds great I think?!?), sand tart cookies and the like. . . but no soft sand cookies. Everything is crispy.
So, we went with it. We made delicious sand cookies and guess what--they were pecan sandies. They are certainly delicious (way too delicious--I have a headache now from sugar!), but they were not what Gramma gave to Paige. I'm sure that Bun Bun Button wouldn't have eaten them either. Oh well, what a great example of "we'll try and see what happens!". Wish they would have put a recipe in the back of the book.
Have you ever had soft sand cookies? Care to share? The ducks (and their mama) would appreciate it.
2 comments:
I haven't had soft sand cookies, but Dutch Sand Cookies are delicious!!! They are crispy, but kind of melt in your mouth when you take a bite.
Heather--I'd love this recipe! Feel free to share. . . after all. . . I am a Dutch girl!!!
Post a Comment