Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cool Car

In our van today, Garrison made this comment.

"Mom, I want a different car."
"Why?"
"I don't like this car. It isn't cool."
"What kind of car would be cool?"
"If we put silver stickers on this car, then it would be cool. Then I would like it."

It made me laugh. I'm not sure that my adorable husband would like to have silver stickers all over our mini-van.

Part of me thinks that Garrison's comment is very kid-like. . . and it is. It is easy for me to dismiss it, to laugh, to blog about it. I realized that I often think the very same thing. Oh, I'm not up for putting stickers on the car. . . but I do often think about getting another car. I have NO reason to get another car. Our mini-van is perfect for our family. It holds all of us. It is reliable. It travels well. One of the doors is automatic. I really like it. I do find myself looking at other vehicles, dreaming about the options that I don't have. . . . If I were really honest, I'd say that about my house, my clothes, my dishes, my deck, my carpet. . . .

Overall I'm very content, but little things can "sneak in". Little thoughts that make me ungrateful perhaps. Last night I went to see Reparando with my friend Nancy. It showed some of the history of Guatemala as well as the hope of Jesus that is being lived in the slums. When I see those images I think--I have so very much! Thank you Lord for putting me in this place. I'm going to work harder to push those "if only. . . " thoughts out of my head. Maybe I'll need to buy some silver stickers as a reminder. :)

No comments: