Yesterday, I was able to celebrate a very long-standing tradition, one which I can't remember ever "not doing". We made doughnuts.
When I was growing up, my folks worked hard to do fun things with us. We knew that on the first cancelled school day of the year (generally a snow day), we got to make doughnuts. My dad would dig out the frier (used once a year!) and mom would get out the ingredients. We'd don aprons and get covered in flour. We loved loved loved making doughnuts. It was so special because mom and dad needed our help, we only got to do it once a year, and it was just so tasty! Often, neighborhood kids would come over to the Koemans to participate. It was awesome! I was even home from Florida one year and there was a snow day. We made doughnuts! You don't have to be a kid to enjoy a doughnut.
Gary and I have decided to continue on with the tradition. First, I asked for the Betty Crocker Cook-book years ago. I needed to have the same recipe as my mom. :) Next, I had to have some kids. Then, my kids needed to go to school. Yesterday, school was cancelled because we were under a tornado watch. We broke out the ingredients, heated up the oil, and went to town. Noel even cracked the egg for us. Everyone rolled, everyone got flour on them, everyone tried the batter, everyone cut out the doughnuts, and everyone ate. Well, not everyone. Penny slept through the whole thing. Good thing too. I didn't want to be the one to tell her that she wasn't allowed to have any. . . yet.
2 comments:
LOVE those traditions!! and hello, could you BE any cuter with your FESTIVE tablecloth??? i think not.
Mrs. Koeman:))) I cant believe that we have found each other....no kidding, i was talking about you to my mom the other day before you even wrote me a comment! I really cant believe it!! your family is beautiful and i am so happy for you!! where do you live and all that? what is your email so we can chat a bit? also, my mom told me to tell you hi and that she really enjoyed looking at your blog!
Post a Comment