Sunday morning was a special day at our church. Jim Terpstra gave his testimony. This is not a special preacher or teacher, but a regular told his story. He is a recovering drug addict. His story is very similar to my dad's story. Jim and his wife Kathy have been talking to and encouraging my mom as well as us kids over the past couple of months. We hadn't met yet and I was so excited to meet him in person and to hear his story.
Last week, it was announced that he would be speaking at church. In my crazy head I didn't put all of the puzzle pieces together. . . I had to help downstairs for children's worship. While sitting on my couch Saturday night, I realized that I'd be missing his talk. This didn't leave me much time to find a replacement. It did however open up a huge hole that my big God could fill! :)
I posted my need on facebook and received a couple of responses from friends who knew how important it was for me to hear what Jim had to say. The problem is that I wanted them to hear as well. These are friends that have been walking very closely with us. I wasn't sure what to do. . . well I did cry and often. The whole day became very emotional.
I got to church and shared with a friend that I didn't know what I was going to do. Then, she was off. I didn't know it, but she was off finding a replacement for me.
Now---let me pause. I'm so glad to be a part of the Christian community. I love it when people share with me, encourage me, and let me know that they are praying for me. It is a whole nother level when folks DO something. When Christians put their actions out in the open, when they live out their faith. . . then when I'm at the receiving end. . . . It is like God is giving me a huge hug. I got hugged on Sunday. . . twice.
Hug #1: Darlene volunteered to take my place. She knew that I needed to be in church. She also had NEVER done children's worship. She didn't even know where to go. She was dressed up and wasn't ready for 3, 4, and 5 year olds. She did it anyway. I want to be Darlene. Not actually her, but like her. She stepped way out of her comfort zone. I broke down in church at the selfless act of this woman.
Hug #2: At the end of his testimony, Jim returned to his seat (I'll be sharing more about Jim's story. . . tomorrow perhaps?). He stayed for just a moment as we began to sing "Amazing Grace". It was a perfect response to a story of redemption from prescription medication. As the song began, he left his seat and made his way to my mom. I was standing right next to her and watched him come. He didn't say a word, but he stood with her and held her hand through the entire song. He. Stood. With. Her. I couldn't sing, but could only weep. Friends--to have someone stand with you, to let you know they believe in you, to support you, to show that they know a small piece of what you are experiencing. . . it was one of the more powerful moments in my life.
Christ was very present and very real to us this Sunday. I'm so amazed at how God's works in my life. I pray that I'll have the opportunity to stand with others in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment