Two years ago today, I woke up and looked over to see a beautiful little Chinese boy. I'd met him the day before and on this day, I was going to declare to an official that I wanted to keep him.
Gary and I dressed up, put together some gift bags for the officials, and headed to the Civil Affairs Office. We put it in red ink that we didn't find fault with this child and we wanted to be his parents.
Today, Simon can't remember the Chinese songs that he used to sing to us. He doesn't remember living in the orphanage. He doesn't remember who his friends were, that he got to ride in a huge jet, or how to use chopsticks. He does remember who his Grandma Karen and Grandpa Larry are. He remembers his colors in Spanish, that I said we could make cookies together, that his brother wronged him, and that Fall Family Festival happens every year. He remembers Bible Stories from church. He remembers that I love him. . . then again I tell him that every day.

When we set out on our adoption journey, I never pictured my boy. Now, I can't picture my life without him. I love him and love what he gives to our family. He has an incredible smile and a caring spirit. He loves routine. He loves to take care of others and will defend his position with great stubbornness. He can run very fast. He is focused and can do so many great things because of his determination. He can also get frustrated when he can't create what he has set out to do.
I can't believe it has been two years since I made a commitment to take care of Yang Heng Yi. Simon Yiyi Arthur Sprick has changed our lives and I'm better for it. He is worth getting to know.
No comments:
Post a Comment