I'm sitting on my couch in my house. It is 9:00 at night and I'm awake. I'm beginning to feel tired, but I'm not in that "my eyes hurt when they are open or closed" kind of jet lag tired. That is good. Very good.
We had some adventures when we left China on Thursday. I woke up ready to go, but wanting to do just a few more things before we left--I needed to make the most of the day. I was a little sad about leaving. . .would I ever get back? This is Michael's home. As a quick aside, I received some pictures of Michael's going away party from the orphanage. He looked at each one and made me go back to his favorites. He wouldn't stop talking and kept saying names and one other phrase. I asked Garrison what he was saying and his response was "he keeps saying that it is his home". So this exchange on Thursday morning was on my heart. I know that Michael's new home is in Zeeland, but I also knew that it is hard to change to a new home.
So, we went for a walk in the morning to do some last minute shopping. Then I got hot. And a little impatient. I tried to have a good attitude. Back to the room for some packing. Then swimming. We swam and had to two hotel workers stand next to the pool and watch us. It made Gary and I a bit uncomfortable and awkward. It lasted for an hour! We took pictures. Really.
Back to the room to pack. We forget to each lunch. We had to get out of the room by 4:00. We had to leave at 7:20. We left all of our luggage on a cart (it is secure, we promise!) and we set off to walk around, find some supper, and get through 3 hours. We took the escalator up to McDonalds and couldn't find a seat. We found one downstairs and were told we couldn't sit there unless we bought coffee. I kept saying there are no seats upstairs and they kept saying coffee. We didn't even begin to understand each other. We went across the plaza to another McDonalds. On the escalator on the way down Michael's foot got caught, I heard a pop, and at the bottom he had no shoe or sock. I had to carry him for the rest of the night. We are so thankful that he wasn't hurt!
We got kicked off of couches on the hotel, our place got delayed, I couldn't find Garrison in the airport and wept, it took forever to get through customs in Hong Kong, the shuttle to our hotel was closed, it would cost us an extra 400 for breakfast and wifi. . .
I laughed later. How good of God to send things my way to get me excited about leaving. :)
The flight home went better than I had ever thought! I had begged God for help and He said "you've got it girl!" Michael slept for 8 hours. Customs took too long in Chicago, but we made it home and I was able to hold my girls.
The past few days have been filled with an open house at our church, visiting with family, worshipping at our church, and being in survival mode. That is o.k. Our meals are taken care of. I've received lots of encouraing e-mails and Facebook posts. I read and re-read them.
This morning I felt like we needed to get back to normal. Duck duties, packing a lunch, less screen time. . .it was good. Things are different now. I have a new person who doesn't know how we roll. I need to be on him all the time and other duties are getting neglected. It is o.k. It is the new normal.
Michael is doing great. He is learning words. He loves his mama and daddy. He was so confused today because Gary was at work. He doesn't know going to work. He loves his siblings. He is naughty sometimes because he doesn't know the house rules and he is naughty sometimes because he is naughty. He is sad because he isn't in swimming lessons. He sleeps well every night. He wants to help with every job I'm doing. He is learning about "his clothes" in "his dresser". He will go put on anything in any dresser because that is what he is used to. He is sweet. He tries to be funny and sometimes I smile and other times I'm annoyed. He yells out "Ni Hao" to every person he sees while on a bike ride.
We still aren't up for long visits. We are still adjusting. We are still learning about passing food and praying before meals and being extra patient
1 comment:
Shanda- Garrison can tell you what he is saying!! That alone is such a huge blessing, to know the thoughts of your child's heart. It gives me chills just how much God had his hand in this adoption. I know you hated the waiting, but it had to be great to do it in the summer and still have a few weeks before school starts to help with the adjustment for all. I hope he has fun at Fremont Lake, and this is a great time for your whole family to bond and relax. Love you!!!
Post a Comment