Friday, July 11, 2014

My son Michael

How do a I begin to describe my newest son?  I've only known him for five days.  I want to write this down so that I remember, and so that you my sweet friends and family can begin getting to know him too.

1. I feel like sometimes he is two different people.  I look at him and he is mine.  He is beautiful.  Then he smiles and he looks like a completely different person and he is beyond beautiful.  His smile is huge and joy comes out of him.  Sometimes what is coming out of that smile is a little bit of naughtiness--he knows he is pushing it. :)
2. He is quick to catch on.  No, I'm serious.  The child doesn't miss anything that you do.  He especially doesn't miss anything that his brothers do.  If they walk on the edge, he does.   If they do a naked butt dance, he does.  If they touch the leaf of a tree. . .you get it.  We've had to remind them that they need to be extra on their guard because he is watching everything!  He is even watching me.  So. . .the hotel has these really cool little spoons that they use for yogurt and I like them.  And I took one.  And I put it in my pocket.  And no one saw me.  And I'm sorry now.  Anyway, Michael needed a spoon and so I pulled it out of my pocket.  He got done eating, cleaned off the spoon with his napkin, and then PUT IT IN HIS POCKET!  Ugh.  I taught my kid to steal.  Or I need to not him him wear shorts with pockets.
3. He needs to go to the bathroom a lot.
4. He is the busiest boy I think I have ever met.  He is everywhere.  He can't concentrate on anything for very long.  Gary and I sat and stared when we brought him to the room the first time.  Honestly, it was a bit scary.  Things have calmed just a bit, or better yet, we have changed our eyes to see him differently.  He was in a room with very young kids.  He has been institutionalized.  He is in a brand new situation.  He has never had his own things or own place before.  Please pray that the 15 hour flight goes well.
5. He is noisy.  The kid is snoring away right now.
6. He likes to cheer.  When he does something right or gets it right. . .he cheers.  He throws up him hands in victory and gives a little shout.
7. He likes to be in charge.  When he figures out the way it goes. . .then he wants to do it next time.  The elevator, the buffet, brushing teeth, hailing a cab, entering the pool, paying money. . .he wants to do it every time.  This will be fun to watch in action when he meets Penny. :)
8. Though we don't understand most of what he says, he has no trouble communicating with us.  Happy or mad, we are very aware.  He also gives a little nod if he wants something and a little nod with a shaking hand in front of his face if he doesn't want something.  Gary and I have adopted this way of communicating with each other as well as it works so very well for Michael.  Let me tell ya--he is hilarious--and opiniated. :)
9. When he is naughty, he flashes his smile.  Um. . .not gonna work mister.
10. He makes me laugh every day and I'm liking him more and more.  See, I said yes to God's request to adopt and then I fell in love with a picture.  Suddenly, there was a person living with me that I didn't know.  We are getting to know each other more and more.  I like him more and more.  Last night in our cab he leaned over and kissed me on leg.  He kissed me.  For the first time.  I think that he might like me too.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I love that he is happy and joyful and loves to have fun. That will fit very well in your Sprick Crew! With the other things, just remember that God did not ask you to parent alone. You will have many supporting you and walking alongside you as you parent your new son.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Praying for a great flight and a smooth transition to his new home. I can't wait to meet him!!!

Sherrie

LJFredricks said...

I'm going to need a picture of the spoon.

shanda said...

Lisa--as we were leaving this morning, a worker came out and said that they had gone through the room and there was a spoon missing. Where was the spoon? In my suitcase! I had to open it up in front of the hotel rummage through and hand them the spoon. Oh I'm just not so bright!