They came up behind me in line at Meijer yesterday. I had gone in the morning with the three oldest ducks to pick out valentines for school (there are lots to choose from and we are done!). I also wanted to take advantage of some special Saturday sales. . . and I was out of Diet Mountain Dew. Let's just disclose all.
So they came behind me and I greeted them. "Hi! Hi Mr. _________" I was quickly corrected as they hugged me that I was not to address them as Mr. and Mrs., but rather by their first names. We chatted about my sweet grandma, my folks, and my kids.
See, these are good people. Good folks. Kind. They are also a part of my story. They are Graafschap people. I grew up at Graafschap Church. It was the place where I went to Sunday School, where I sang in the junior choir, where I explored the depths of the basement while my parents talked for way to long after church, where I went to Young Peoples (youth group to today's crowd), where I studied the catechism. I never had either one of these people as Sunday school teachers. Neither one of them were my youth group leaders. Our families didn't hang out with each other. They didn't babysit me not did I babysit for their kids. YET, they are a part of my story. They committed to praying for me when I was baptized. They smiled at me and encouraged me. They tithed so that the church was heated and we had a youth group leader. We worshiped the Lord together and when I would see them on return visits from college or Miami or Chicago, they would welcome me warmly and ask how I was.
Now we were visiting in the check-out line at Meijer while I asked Simon to get up off the the floor as he was searching for treasures to show Garrison. Noel wanted gum. I discovered that they read my blog and she asked that I not use her name on my blog. I said I wouldn't. :)
I left with a smile on my face as I walked through the parking lot with my ducks following behind. When he had hugged me he had also kissed my cheek. Noel had many questions about this which left me giggling. I also smiled because I was thankful for these people and the several hundred more who are a part of my story--my connection to Jesus. It made me realize that I need to be that to the kids at my church. I will be a part of their story through my work in the nursery. I will be a part of their story when I donate snacks with a willing spirit. I will be a part of their story by praying for them, by tithing, by smiling and being interested in who they are.
Someday perhaps, in thirty years or so, I'll run into Olivia or Austin or Alli or Emma or Nate or Julius or Chloe or Ben in Meijer (let's face it--Meijer ain't going away!). I pray I can remember them, give them a hug and smile, ask the to call me Shanda, and get an update on what God is doing in their lives. I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God.
2 comments:
I absolutely love this post.. I am so so so thankful for the family of God that raised me to love Jesus as my own as well. I want that for my family. Thanks for sharing!!!
loved this post.
every single bit of it!
Post a Comment