Monday, September 16, 2013

Not so well

From the title, you'd think that things aren't going too well.  Things are fine. . .good. . . great really.  I have an amazing life, but this week-end there were a few things that didn't go so well.  Here is the deal--sometimes things in life just don't go so well.  I'm going to blog about them and then move on. . .maybe.  :)

1. So my asking for non-profits in my last blog post didn't go so well.  I thought there might be twenty or thirty comments of great organizations posted.  There wasn't one posted.  I'm not sure what to make of this.  Was I unclear?  Was I arrogant?  Are people afraid of posting comments?  Gary and I will still donate the fifty bucks to something that God lays before us.  Don't worry--it won't go to waste.  I'm sad though because I was excited about seeing where the hearts of others are.  I don't have a very "commenty" blog.  Oh well. . . moving on.

2. I hung up on the AT&T service representative this morning.  We were without phone, television, and internet.  I called on my cell phone (there must be really great techs in this area!  For those who might not be in on this little joke here--my sweet hubby is a cell phone tech!) for help and got frustrated.  No I can not see the dot with red around it.  No I will not stick a hairpin (who has a hairpin handy while on the phone?!?) into it.  It seems that you cannot help me over the phone.  Good-bye.  Plus, I was sick of being called ma'am.  He said it after every sentence.  STOP IT.  He called back and said that we must have gotten cut off.  I told him that I had hung up on him.  He responded by saying that he would send someone out to help me tonight.  Thanks.  That would be helpful.  The tech should probably bring a hairpin.  (um. . .I'm a little snarky can you tell?)  So now you wonder how I'm on-line at the moment?  Great question.  The neighbors were installing u-verse and we got unplugged.  

3. Penny pulled the fire alarm at church.  Yup, you read that right.  She is into reaching and touching and that awesome red box with a little spot for a little hand was too tempting.  I was with her and grabbed her hand shouting "no", but the damage was done.  I was in tears as all the kids who were trying to find their classes for the first time had to be herded outside.  I saw all my fabulous older friends standing outside in the rain wondering if this was a drill or if we were really on fire.  So I'm totally laughing now.  I'm thankful that our church isn't burnt down.  I'm thankful that Penny was very scared of the loud noise (don't do that again!).  I'm thankful that it was my three year old who did it and not a 13 year old child of mine.  I'm thankful for kind words and forgiving nods from everyone to whom I apologized.  I'm thankful for laughter and memories.  What I'm not happy about are the good hearted folks who made comments like this to Penny and to our older kids "That's alright.  We needed a drill anyway.  That is so funny!"  These comments make it o.k. for kids to pull alarms.  It is not o.k.  I don't want my children to think that they can do this and get a great laugh from their friends at church or school.  I want there to be consequences for making this choice.  I know that these comments weren't intended to be enabling, but they are.  We had a great talk in the car about what happens when a fire alarm is pulled.  I will laugh about it though.  I will laugh a lot about it.  The last thing we sang as we left the sanctuary was "Show your mighty hand heal our church and land Set your church on fire. . ."  The alarm was pulled five minutes later.  Good thing I'm so in love with that girl.

4. Finally, Miss Kansas didn't win the Miss America pageant.  I'm embarrassed to write this, but it is what it is.  I watched the "behind the scenes" show about the pageant, and then I just wanted to see it all happen.  Gary laughed at me and frankly, I laughed at me too.  Miss Kansas was profiled and I liked her and wanted her to win.  She made it to the top ten (?), but didn't make the top five.  Whatever.  I'm over it.


3 comments:

shanda said...

And I'm going to add that I got stung by a bee! Noel let him in the house (shut the door please) and he stung me. It was good though because it gave me more sympathy for my kids when they get stung. I haven't been stung in years and I don't like it! Plus, it itches like crazy now!

Jana said...

The fire alarm story made me laugh! My older son pulled the alarm one day in gym class at school. He was in Kindergarden and could read, so when he saw the words "pull here" on the handle, he thought he should try it. Needless to say, he didn't do that ever again! His teacher and I had a good laugh when she called me to explain it later in the day. I am hoping that "bad" memory stuck with him and he will not pull the alarm in his dorm as a prank now that he is in college!

Jana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.