Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wednesday

So I think I'm going to like Wednesdays, other than the fact that my little girl is growing up.

Penny went off to school today for the first time by herself.  She wasn't even phased that I dropped her off at 9:30 when school actually began at 9:15.  It didn't phase her either that her mom managed to pick her up on time.  I was extra careful about that one.   Meanwhile, I need to change the three-school start time on my calendar.  In my defense, this is the first year it is at 9:15 instead of 9:30.

She could barely even kiss me good-bye as she eagerly rushed over to the paints.  I'm thankful for that. . . not for the rushing off (although I'm thankful for that too--no drama) but for the painting.  Paint away at school dear!  Paint on!  You won't be painting at home.  I'm all about mud and water and dirt and bugs and frogs and toads and bones and bikes. . .painting not so much.  Mrs. Walters says they might paint every week!  That is totally worth the money.

So, what did I do with my first time off. . . my first time ever with my kids in school?  No I did not blog.  I didn't shop.  I didn't get many things checked off of my list.  I buzzed over to my folks.  My mom's best friend Bev breazed in last night and I needed to see her.  I had a delightful morning visiting with my favorite mom and my second mom.  Bev told me I looked so beautiful.  I may need to go and visit again next Wednesday.

I picked Penny up and loved seeing her smile.  I was thrilled to hear that she was able to play with the dress-up clothes.  Penny has been talking about this all week since her first parent visit to the classroom.  I was a little afraid she had missed her time since we were. . . ahem. . .late.  Mrs. Walters let me know that Penny was all about dressing up.  I smiled so proudly until she added that Penny had taken off all of her clothes before she put on new dress-up clothes.  When Mrs. Walters explained that she should keep her clothes on in class, Penny emphatically assured her that she would be too hot if she kept them on underneath a princess dress.  I should probably warn Mrs. Walters to watch Penny around fire alarms.

We went home, ate lunch, and watched an episode of Dora before nap time.  As I watched my big girl walk down the hall, I got a little nostalgic.  I asked her if I could just please carry her to bed, after all she was growing up and I was a little sad about that.  Penny said "No mom.  Don't be sad.  I'm growing up but my hair is growing down."  Makes perfect sense.

No comments: