Saturday, March 31, 2012

24 hour stint

What a terrible-horrible-no good-very bad night.  It was so bad at times that I found myself blogging about it in my head.  :)

I was on duty last night with Simon.  I haven't slept at the hospital since Simon went in.  That doesn't seem quite fair does it?  Nope.  It most certainly isn't fair.  See, I married the one and only most fabulous Gary.  He knows that I have trouble falling asleep initially and when I'm awakened, so he has volunteered to sleep at the hospital every night except for two when his mom did.  (I'm so sorry Mom Petty!  I had no idea how bad it could be and feel terrible that you had to experience it.  You are awesome!)  The beeping alarms.  The "Mommy I have to go potty".  The checking of the vitals.  The changing of the i.v.  The beeping alarms because they weren't set correctly.  The visits by doctors.  The emptying of the urinal.  The flashlights.  The bed. . .oh joy the hard couch that becomes the hard bed.  The movement of my pillow over the edge of the couch because there was no stopper.  Yucky.  Horrible.  Frustrating.  Hard.  How is Simon supposed to get well if he doesn't get sleep?  ARG!

I must admit I started out with a great attitude and a great set-up.  I even brought my electric blanket.  I was not going to be cold.  I brought my own pillow: no excuse there.  I was ready.  I had to admit that my attitude didn't improve as the alarms kept going off and I needed to alert some folks to take care of things. I really wished I had a door lock.  I may have even had. . . ahem. . .impure thoughts using impure language.  Don't worry.  I've confessed.

BUT

Two good things happened last night.
1. Simon pooped.  Seems like such a little thing that we do every day, but he hasn't been doing it every day, not even every other day. . . nor even for over a week.  One of the criteria for him leaving the hospital is being able to poop.  He informed me in the middle of the night that he thought he had done it.  He was right.  I opened up our room door and whisper shouted "Simon pooped!" as I pumped my fist.  It probably would have gone over better had it not been 3:00 a.m.  Still, if there is a reason to celebrate, I'll celebrate.
2. I realized once again that my Gary loves me.  He loves me enough to put up with this night after night knowing that he can handle it better than I can.  Gary tells me every day that he loves me, but things like this just really cement it and show me he means it.  He loves me.  I hear it and I see it.

Today Simon was tired.  Today Simon was able to eat food.  I chose yogurt first and then he insisted on bacon.  Love that boy.  His doctor says we'll be there awhile: his blood work isn't coming down like it should.  It's moving down, but not rapidly.  That means more hospital time.  Today Simon complained less about pain in his belly.  Today Simon walked faster and more upright.  Today Simon complained about walking again.  Today Simon beat me in Mario Kart.  I was tired, but we celebrated eating today and I got to enjoy my boy's smile.  So I guess it wasn't so horrible after all.

No comments: