8:10 p.m. I've been here at the hospital since 8:00 a.m. I'm glad. I missed my boy yesterday and I won't see him at all tomorrow, so this has been a good day in that regard.
So, I have good news, bad news, and something funny. What would you like to hear first? Funny? Sure. . . I arrive in our huge t-ruck (we call it the tee-ruck) and got out all the stuff: suppers for Gary, lunches for us both, clothes, mail, and two 12 packs of pop. As I'm waiting for the elevator I drop one of the 12-packs and it breaks sending cans of diet cherry pepsi rolling all over. I laughed, stick my rear in the air and round em' up. Comical I thought. So, maybe it isn't so funny.
On to the good news: Simon enjoyed some sips of slushy as well as chicken broth and jello tonight. Yup, you read that right. He was able to drink! Not only that but his ng tube was pulled out. I video taped it. After being so sad/whiny/frustrated/upset (Simon not me) all morning long. . . it was so great to jump and celebrate and shout (I did it all!) in our room. What is that? You'd like more good news? Sure. His surgery to re-position drain tube number 3 went well. Stuff came out. Gross, but good news. Want more? Renita is our nurse. Good stuff.
Bad news: Sadly, there is stuff to report here. This morning we received news that we might be able to be discharged when the drainage tubes are done because there would probably be an oral antibiotic that would cover the infections he has. There was also talk that one or may even two of his drainage tubes might come out during the surgery. Seriously?!? So, not only did the two tubes stay in (Boo). Not only was it discovered that there is no oral antibiotic that will treat him so he needs to stay on iv antibiotics for two weeks (Booer). That puts us leaving on April 5 (The Booest!). Oh have I cried tears about that one. April 5--one week from Thursday. I know we will make it, but my heart doesn't know that. My heart doesn't know how we will take care of him and our other kids at the same time. My heart doesn't get how a child can be in the hospital for two weeks and 3 days for a ruptured appendix. Because of this antibiotic news they gave him a pic line during the surgery. It is a tube that goes in through his upper arm and threads its way down towards his heart. His veins were too little in his right side (ideal) so it in his left. Another tube. A reminder that when we go home he'll have this still in him.
So I read him a story, sang and prayed with him, and tucked him in. My sweet Simon. My heart is full of all kinds of stuff. I'll chose to dwell tonight on the amazing. Amazing immediate family who do whatever we suggest. Amazing friends who are helping us. Amazing church family bringing meals and cards. Amazing school friends. Amazing surprise gifts that bring us to tears. . . many anonymous gifts. People love on Simon and love on us. I look forward to being able to return the blessings over and over again in the future. Boy God has to be smiling about this community. Thank you.
1 comment:
Seriously, Girl. You have had ENOUGH! Have another coke and then send me Noel for a bit.
Post a Comment