Hi
It has been a day and I'm exhausted. I needed to quickly blog before falling into bed though, both to get everything off of my mind and to create a record. I want to remember the difficulties, the set-backs, and the blessings.
Simon had a rough night on Wednesday. A fever indicated something wasn't right. He was also put on oxygen as his readings were rather low. Gary got very little sleep. There were x-rays and another ct scan this morning. The doctors discovered two more abscesses. I was able to be with Simon before and after this surgery. I'm thankful I was able to spend the whole afternoon and most of the evening with him. I like him.
He is currently still in pain. He now has three drainage tubes coming out of his belly. He is still on oxygen. He is on new antibiotics. He was able to walk around a bit tonight--our nurse even made a scavenger hunt for him with a prize at the end. Fun! We had a few visitors as well. Pastor Dominic prayed scripture over us and I was greatly encouraged.
I look like a wreck. I've been crying on and off all day long--there I go again--and my eyes are puffy, dry, and they hurt. I have that crying headache--you know what I'm talking about. We have several possible plans for tomorrow and we'll see which one we go with as far as being with Simon/taking care of kids/who is at the hospital/etc It depends on the kind of night that he has. We are so thankful that Gary's mom flew in to help. We just talked last night about how amazing she is at "hospital stuff". She heard that and made the trip. She is sleeping here tonight (Gary is at the hospital as Simon is too fragile for us to be away from him) but will be at the hospital full time starting tomorrow. Gary will finally get a full nights rest in his bed! They aren't giving us any idea about leaving--one or two weeks perhaps. It all depends. I believe the next 24 hours are critical! We need no more abscesses. We need the antibiotics to work. We need him to be able to eat and drink. Let's go Simon!
Two things: one funny and one absolutely amazing. Funny first. It makes me smile every time Garrison prays for Simon. He never says "take care of Simon" or "help Simon get better". Instead he asks that God take care of Simon while he is at "Helen DeVos Children's Hospital", or "take care of us as we go to see Simon at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital." It makes me laugh.
Amazing: when Gary called this morning to tell me about the rough night I was very shaken. I hurt for my son and I have to admit I was a little upset with God--I even said it out loud. "Why didn't you wake me up? Simon was in trouble and I could have prayed for him." I turned my prayer attention to praying for Simon rather than being upset. When my mom arrived at our house tonight to help with bedtime and assist with some house stuff so I could return to the hospital, she told me that after she received my phone call that Simon was going back to surgery, she called one of her prayer partners. (Wow! Long sentence Shanda!) Millie is 86 and once of the fiercest prayer warriors! Millie assured mom she would be praying for Simon and then shared that she had been awakened in the night with a pressing need to pray for Simon. She had stayed up for an hour praying for him. Wow! God is amazing! He knew I needed sleep for the day ahead and instead woke up one of His earthly saints to do the work. I am humbled. When mom shared with Millie what had happened she remarked that it just made her love God more that He would chose to use her. What a testimony.
I need to sleep. When you read this it will probably be Friday. Hopefully Simon's belly won't be so distended, he'll enjoy a bite of breakfast, and won't be on oxygen. I'll let you know when I can. Thanks for praying.
1 comment:
Wow Shanda.... My heart aches for you and is in awe of you and your family all at the same time. We have been praying for little Simon at home. Maggie is the Cooper prayer warrior these days :-) I'll have to let her know though that she should say "Helen DeVos Children's Hospital." She'll appreciate the details. :-)
Please let me know if you need anything this week...a place for Garrett after school or a ride home. I'm here almost all the time and I'm happy to help!
Hang in there... You are an amazing family.
Mandy
Post a Comment